Canal Boating in England

Search

Canal Boating in England

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canal Boating in England

We are planning a canal boat holiday in May 2006, and after reading brochures and websites, we are not sure of the best canal to go on. Preferably quaint villages, good pubs, nice countryside. We are planning to be on the canal boat for about 3 weeks. Thanks in anticipation

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 10:01 PM

LakesideChick,

Don't mean to rain on your canal, but I have tried both the English and Continental canals, and in comparing the two I cannot imagine anyone choosing the UK for pleasure. I know I am going to get static from all of the narrowboat enthusiasts, but I can only go with my own experience.

Firstly, the weather in the British Isles can be dreadful. Second, the British have neglected the canals, and the infrastructure that supports them. Third, the canals in the UK are a LOT of work. Most of the locks are not automatic, and/or do not have lock keepers. You have to crank the paddles yourself. Not fun in a driving, cold, rainstorm.

Give me a French or Dutch canal every time!

If you want more info, I would be happy to correspond with you directly online.

Wherever you choose, have a wonderful time.

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 01:15 AM
Billygoat

I'd go for the Llangollen Canal myself.
It goes through some very nice countryside and small towns and it includes the famous Pontcysyllte Aqueduct.

You might possible start on the Shropshire Union Canal and visit Chester for a few days. A lot of work has been done and is still being done on the canals and towpaths in Chester. It is beginning to look very attractive.

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 02:58 AM

Have you looked at

www.canaljunction.com

The 'choose a route' option has headings like 'interesting villages', 'pubs', 'least number of locks' and so on (Shropshire Union comes up high in all these sections!).

It also lists the time you can expect to spend on each route, and also gives ideas for circular routes.

I'd second Billygoat's recommendation for the Shropshire Union canal, because it's the only one I've really been on for longer than a few hours. I have heard the Kennet and Avon is beautiful.

Have a great trip, it won't rain for 3 weeks solid, not in May.

Old Oct 11th, 2005, 06:05 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
My 1st choice would probably be the Great Glen in Scotland (of course, that isn't in England). It starts out from Loch Ness and travels along rivers/canals and lochs. But it only takes a few days and private boats must stop just before Fy William. There is a thread on here about several UK routes recently taken by a fodorite during a boating holiday - but since the search function is so lame you may have a hard time finding it. if I can put my finger on it I'll post the link.

by 3 weeks - do you mean on ONE canal or broken up into a week or so in different areas? Because 3 weeks on one canal would be leisurely to the extreme . . . . .
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 06:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
here is the link to a great thread w/ information for you.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34674583

(It took a bit of hunting because I couldn't just click on my name -- because of fodors "fixes" I've had to re-register w/ a new screen name)
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for these great ideas and suggestions.. really much appreciated. Happy travelling