Great Location Hotels

Old May 22nd, 2003, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Location Hotels

I have been researching hotels so much that I am completely confused. We are traveling to London for a 6 night visit and taking our grown children/spouses. It is our first trip here and would like a great location in the midst of things and a great hotel. Would anyone have a personal favorite you wouldn't mind sharing? $300 USD per night would be about the top that I would want to spend. I've looked into the London Marriott County Hall, but I'm afraid there might not be enough shopping / restaurants around the area. Any input would be greatly appreciated. BTW....we are traveling in the middle of December. I thought it would be festive during that period.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 12:07 PM

My family is leaving for London this Saturday 5/24 and we are staying at the Marriott County Hall, mainly because we got the rooms for 105 GBP per night with king size beds and breakfast included. It looks like it is near many of the attractions that we want to see, but it does look short on restaurants and shopping. We are counting on using our feet and the bus system. I'll be happy to comment on the area when I get back.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Please let me know, tada. I will wait anxiously for your report. Have a great trip !
Old May 22nd, 2003, 02:57 PM

I just came back from London last week, after a week long staying at Thistle Trafalgar Square.

Among my few dozens london visits, this is the best located hotel I have ever stayed: Right on Trafalgar Square, half block behind The National Gallery; few minutes to Leicester Square,Covent Garden, Picadilly Circus and all the Westend theatres,restaurants and shopping areas; 10 minutes walk cross the Thamas to South Bank Centre by beautiful Hungerford Footbride; few minutes walk to St.James Park for morning walk; at least few dozens buses/several major tube lines stop right at Trafalgar Suqare/Charing Cross,so it is merely one bus ride to any major attractions.

I booked the hotel through Londontown.com at 77 pounds per night incluing very good breakfast, the rack rate is around 220 pounds. BTW, because the hotel located on Whitcomb Street,it was very quite in the night.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 06:56 PM

the marriott you mention is located in the building that used to be the london council building (sort of county government)...it has been completely renovated and is quite lovely...the location is just across the bridge from big ben and the parliament buildings and right on the river....in its backyard is the "I" or millenium (spelled wrong) ferris wheel---an absolute must...the hotel of course has restaurants...there is not too much else right there but a short taxi ride will bring you to whatever you want to eat....an alternative marriott would be the london marriott in grovesnor square, just across the park from the american embassy...a great location right in the middle of things---walk to everything...i love this hotel and there is shopping all around and lots of restaurants.....in december you should be able to find lots of good locations as it is not prime travel time....y
you will love the christmas feel of england in december---really old fashioned in many ways....get out into the country for at least one day to really feel it and walk up regent street to see the lights at night...
\
you would be happy with either marriott or other 4* hotel in london...room tend to be small however in all london hotels....

the other marriott are all of a lesser quality....
Old May 22nd, 2003, 09:18 PM

I HIGHLY recommend the Marriott County Hall. The views of Big Ben and Parliament alone are worth the stay.

And there are a LOT more nearby places to eat than most folks would think. You are a short walk from all the South Bank arts development - and each (National Theatre, etc) have good to great cafes/restaurants. Like the Peoples' Palace. Then farther along are the cafes in the Tate Modern, OXO tower, and on east. And it is a relatively short walk across the two new pedestrian bridges to the restaurants of Covent Garden.

Even if you didn't want to walk that far or if the weather turns nasty, the cab ride over to Soho/Covent Garden isn't a budget buster.