Good Edinburgh Eats For $$

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 06:39 AM
fred

Good Edinburgh Eats For $$

Looking for ideas on good place for dinner in Edinburgh in price range of say 15-20 pounds per person (less is great too). Prefer somewhere that has good Scottish fare and is not a "tourist trap" but one that is preferred by the local residents. Also, any ideas on favorite pubs will be appreciated as we are big fans of pubs. In fact, a pub that also serves good food would be a good thing to know about as well.

Thanks

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Tony

Hello Fred,
Try these sights. I do not know them personally but I trust the guide that recomends them, namely "The Good Food Guide".
http://www.fitzhenrys.com/
http://www.haldanesrestaurant.com/
As for pubs I am sure some locals might advise shortly, but one a little out of town serving good food and located alongside a canal is Bridge Inn
27 Baird Road, RATHO , EH28 8RA
Tel: (0131) 333 1320

Tony

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 08:52 AM
Tony

Sorry Fred,
Forgot about this link. Browse the whole site: it's good.
http://www.wine-pages.com/eats2.htm

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Jacko

Prefer somewhere that has good Scottish fare ...

'Fraid that's a bit of an oxymoron. Hope you like cabbage, potato, turnips, and sheep innards.

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Nicole

Fred,

When I was there, A Room in the Town on Frederick/Howe Street has good eats for little money. As well, try Clarinda's Tea Room at the end of Princes Street for light snacks and munchies. (Especially if you are about to walk all the way back up Princes Street. That'll take some energy.)

Also, the Laigh Bakery (can't remember street name) is great for breakfast. If you get there early (we went one morning before climbing to the top of Arthur's Seat), you can have their cheese scones still hot from the oven.
There are lots of bakeries scattered around that serve pizzas, savory stuffed pastries, etc., that are great for a quick lunch. If you get these to go, they cost even less than if you eat in.

As for pubs, I remember eating in them, but I don't remember a specific one. Most of them serve the same basic menu with varying degrees of success.

Good luck, and have a great time!

Old Aug 15th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Barbara

Hey Jacko, where do you think Aberdeen Angus cattle came from? Good Scottish fare also includes lamb, the best salmon in the world and many other fish and seafood dishes.

fred, the Artium and Martin's are both excellent, though perhaps slightly more expensive.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Sheila

Barbara, you've been away too long. SLIGHTLY!! more expensive?????

Try Howies, fred. There are 3 or 4 of them across the city.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 06:07 AM
julkia child

what does Howie's serve?

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Barbara

Sheila, it's only been a year and half since I ate there. The price can't have gone up all that much in that time. They both are more expensive than fred's range, though. Back in the ice age (still is chilly there, isn't it!)when I lived in Edinburgh, great restaurants didn't exist, with the possible exception of Denzler's. My brother likes Rogue, but I don't have any idea how much that costs.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Jenny

Julkia,

Take a look at http://www.howies.uk.com/restaurants.html
and you'll get some sample menus for Howie's. They're also a personal favourite of mine, by the way...

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Jenny

The Bridge Inn at Ratho was nice the last time I visited (about 1 1/2 years ago - so a little out of date). Also, you can take canal trips whilst having dinner on board, if that interests you.
Have a look at http://www.bridgeinn.com/ if you want some more info about it.

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 03:59 PM
Ron

Just got back from Edinburgh last week (too bad the weather wasn't better). The Point Restaurant at the Point Hotel was excellent! I think it was 2 courses for 13 pounds or 3 courses for 18 pounds. Food was wonderful (if you would like to try haggis, they wrap it like a eggroll and it's very good) and the atmosphere was very classy. In fact we weren't sure they would let us in since our daughter was dressed so sloppy. Blue might just make it under your budget and was also excellent. You might need reservations for it though. Howies was a very pleasant surprise and if you finish your meal by 7:30 the meal is even cheaper!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:10 PM
Amy

This was a statement from Fred posted on the US board.

<<Good food, nice decor, and happy crowd is what we want (by happy I do NOT mean gay!).>>

I hope you Scots took that under consideration when making your suggestions!

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:15 PM
x

Amy what the hell are you talking about? trying to cause trouble heh?

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:20 PM
Amy

Oh, good heavens, no! I just want Fred to be happy. Don't you?

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 04:35 PM
kalena

We didn't venture widely, but Hadrian's at The Balmoral was very good. You can order one or two courses and stay within your budget.

Here's a photo:

http://www.thebalmoralhotel.com/restaurant2.html

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:49 AM
Gay Fred

Oh I do so love the happy crowds in those wonderful pubs. Any ideas where I can go whilst there to have a gay (wink, wink) time? Remember I want a HAPPY place with lots of GAYiety...

thank you dears

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:52 AM
Jenny

The Laughing Duck sounds as if it may be the place you are looking for!!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:06 AM
Keith

Fred, not Scottish fare but Cafe Vittorio on Leith Walk is pretty good. Basically the usual Italian, but not bad. I think there are some pubs around here too, but my favourites tend to be in the Grassmarket, and also around Newington.