Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Caroline_Edinburgh: recommend restaurants?

Apr 24th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Caroline: I was reading on another post that you wished you were able to recommend restaurants in Edinburgh. Can you help? We will be there the first week of June with two sons in tow: 15 & 20. We like almost all foods but have a fairly limited budget (50-75£ per day). We are in an apartment and will buy things for breakfast. We're thinking to eat a good lunch (cheaper) and then street type "fast food" for dinner or buy something to cook in the apartment. We are close to the castle. Suggestions for fun meals, bakeries, anything that is essentially Edinburgh? Also, will welcome any suggestions for Stirling & St. Andrews. Thanks to you and other Scotland experts.
Apr 24th, 2008, 12:12 PM

I'm not Caroline, but if you're looking for a cheap, tasty, filling lunch stop (can't remember if they are open in the evenings) I can heartily recommend the Baked Potato shop at the top of Cockburn Street, just off the Royal Mile.

They serve huge baked potatoes with a variety of vegetarian fillings (hot or cold), including their own very tasty veggie haggis.

They have a tiny table inside if you want to eat on the premises - we usually take our potatoes and find a bench or set of steps to sit on and people watch somewhere along the Royal Mile.
Apr 24th, 2008, 12:25 PM

I'm not Caroline either, but was in Edinburgh last summer. We ate a couple of times at Always Sunday, a cafe on the Royal Mile. Good food (filled baked potatoes, different salads, deli dishes, desserts, scones), and really reasonably priced, especially for such a touristy area. Nice atmosphere, too. They do close a little early, so no late dinners, but great for lunch.
Apr 28th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

These sound great, thanks. Any other Edinburgh experts?
Apr 29th, 2008, 03:29 PM

Try the Cornerstone Cafe under the church at the corner of Princes Street and Lothian Road - if you can live without meat. It's part of a mini arcade of shops with a green / fair trade leaning.
If budget is important, avoid Princes Street and the Royal Mile. About a mile north or south of Princes Street you'll get better value. Fro the east end of Princes Street go north along The Bridges and you'll soon reach student territory, decoration may not be posh but food will be good and reasonably priced.
In Stirling there's a Chinese restaurant on King Street, near Thistle's shoppin mall, that does a good value lunchtime buffet. An Indian restaurant across the road also looks quite good thought I've never tried it. Further up King Street and closer to the castle prices get a bit higher.
St Andrews has a lot of good eating places but they are not cheap - the students here are too well off! Nahm Jim's and L'Oriental were two restaurants that have combined, a mixture of Thai and Japanese, wonderful. The Inn on North Street is also reasonable.
Often in restaurants they make their money from sales of alcohol with meals. Stick to soft drinks, or ask for tap water with your meal, and you'll avoid a nasty shock at paying time. Most places will serve tap water on request with a meal. If they refuse, leave. They'll soon learn. Tap water is safe to drink everywhere in Scotland.
Apr 30th, 2008, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

That is great to know about the water, Craig, and I appreciate the restaurant suggestions too.