Eating in Edinburgh on a budget

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And by budget, I mean tight! We (two 20-something women) will be staying in a hostel for the three nights in June we're there. I know some general tips - pubs, Pret, grocery stores, etc. - but was wondering if anyone had any specific recommendations for inexpensive restaurants? I'm thinking in the neighborhood of ten pounds max, since that's currently $20 US (not including alcohol). Thanks, everyone!
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 11:59 PM

I can't tell you the exact addresses, but we went to a couple of Italian delis that were pretty good and provided very good value. I think the sandwiches were in the 3-4 pound range.

A sit-down meal for 10 pounds will be a little difficult, particularly when tips are considered. It will be more possible for lunch than dinner, though. I think you might be able to manage this at the Bella Italia chain (this is different than the delis mentioned previously).
http://www.bellaitalia.co.uk/

The Southern Cross cafe is attached to a hostel (I think it's on Cockburn Street), and is fairly reasonable in price. I think their 8-pound breakfast could easily feed two women.

There are various Indian, Middle Eastern, and Italian restaurants where you can meet or come close to your objective, particularly if you are ordering light.

Does your hostel have a kitchen? If so, you can warm up stuff from the grocery store.
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:27 AM

Which hostel are you staying in (so I can think of what's around there) ?

In the meantime...

Monster Mash, Thistle Street & Forrest Road - c.£5-7 for a main course.

Palmyra, Nicolson Street - nice kebabs e.g. chicken shwarma + salad £3.50/£4.50, baba ganoush/hoummus/feta + salad £2.80. (They also do pizza but I've not had it & expect it's not vg since it's basically a Lebanese restaurant.)

The Mosque ! Massive plates of chicken/lamb/spinach/lentil curry + rice/naan for £3, 1pm-7pm I think. (Warning - more or less outdoors so no good in bad weather.)

Vittoria's (Italian) on Leith Walk - c.£6-8 for pasta.

Asa you've said, pubs - when I know where you're located I can reommend ones nearby. We don't tip in pubs.

If your hostel has a suitable area, Chinese or Indian takeaways.

Old May 1st, 2007, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Caroline - we're staying at the SmartCity hostel, on Blackfriars just off the High Street. Neither one of us is a vegetarian. Thank you both so much for suggestions so far!
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:16 PM
Original Poster

Topping in case anyone else has suggestions (and hoping it isn't a major faux pas to top your own thread!).
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:43 PM

No, no, everyone does it.

There are masses of places you'll be able to do this, but use your hostel kitchen too. Don''t buy made up sandwiches. Do your own.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 12:46 AM

I'd sort of agree with that sandwiches suggestion, except that the Italian paninis are so good and so practical. They of course have various condiments that aren't practical to buy for a short stay.

The SmartCity hostel looks great. It's new and has kitchen facilities and is in a fabulously convenient location. You are pretty near the Lidl grocery store on Nicolson Street, which may be the cheapest grocery option.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 03:50 AM

Sorry, I'm having a block, can't think of anywhere else near there - except Black Bo's which is actually on Blackfriars Street. It's mainly veggie but the food is nice enough for non-veggies to go there too, plus it's very cheap & cheerful - quite studenty.

The Mosque and the Forrest Road Monster Mash are very close to you.

Oh, and the Halfway House - brilliant tiny pub, halfway down Fleshmarket Close - very close to you. Has good real ale and homecooked food - foiod served until mid-evening I'd think. When I lived in the Old Town it was my favourite pub.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all of you! We're so excited about this trip, but this exchange rate has us a little restricted. This will help tons!
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Find "The Tempting Tattie" - I forget the street - it's just around the corner from The Tass (a Pub). Baked potatoes with a variety of toppings you can choose - good, good for ya and filling!