Distances walked in Paris

Apr 27th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Distances walked in Paris

I am still having foot problems since my return. Never adverse to walking long distances while travelling I sprouted blisters after only a few days and while wearing 'good shoes'...I thought. Despite trying all treatments, the damage was done. One day we walked from ile St. Louis to the Orangerie and on to the Eiffel Tower. The last miles were brutal. Does anyone have an idea as to the approx mileage that might have been? I'm thinking it felt like 10 for sure.Next time..UGLY comfortable shoes.
Apr 27th, 2008, 03:43 AM
J62

sorry to hear about your feet. I can sympathize after trekking all over Rome with bumpy cobblestones last summer.

according to mappy.com

Ile St. Louis to the Orangerie. 3km
Orangerie to Eiffel tower. 2km

total ~5km, or 3miles.

Apr 27th, 2008, 06:59 AM

As I age comfortable shoes and proper fitting, soft socks are much more important than being fashionable! Your socks might have bunched up causing rubbing and blisters.
Apr 27th, 2008, 07:25 AM
tod

Oh Minx I do sympathise! My DH took a photo of me sitting on a bench in Avenue Rapp re-arranging my elastoplast! I HAD to see that magnificent Art Nouveau doorway at number 29 and hobbled around for the rest of the day.
Not this time - I am afraid the folks of Paris will see me comfortably strolling in my Crocs - and I know they don't care either!
Apr 27th, 2008, 07:58 AM

Oh Minx, I can relate. Right now I am in Paris and my aching feet. My first day here, last Thursday, I went on a 4 1/2 hour walking tour of Paris,it was wonderful,however, my socks rubbed the bottoms of my feet causing horrible blisters....as I only have 2 pairs of boots and my houseslippers with me I had to go to the Nike Paris store on Friday morning and buy some very ugly, very expensive sport shoes for the rest of my trip. I really contemplated walking around Paris in my black slippers but thought the little kittens on them would be a No No. It's terrible to have sore, aching feet. I also went to the Pharmacy yesterday and got some fizzy tabs to put in warm water to soak your feet for 15 minutes. Oh, woe is me, and I will never, ever leave home without my sneakers. No, they are not white!
Apr 27th, 2008, 08:35 AM

My DH walked Paris in clogs; after
two days he had a gargantuan blister
taking up his entire forefoot sole.

Limped to a pharmacy and when his
foot was uncovered all the skin came
off onto the marble floor - with a
LOT of blood - what a mess!

The kindest clerk cleaned him up and
sent him back to the hotel to spend
the day gazing out the window w/his
foot propped up.....while I happily
wandered the Left Bank.

Now he has surrendered his vanity
and wears soft hiking boots or running shoes.

You can teach some old 'dogs' new
tricks!
Apr 27th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

So much sympathy when I expected severe reprimands.We know don't we? And perhaps anyone ready to scold might yet have their day. Suspaul your thoughts of possibly wearing your kitty slippers sounded familiar. Desperate measures are sometimes called for.I looked for new shoes dreading paying the piper in Euros. But they too hurt my already damaged tootsies. Soooo...I dug deep in a bin of junky shoes on Rue de Rivoli and snagged a pair of lime green beauts that were 1 size up from the usual. (probably a step down from the black kitty slippers)Swallowed my pride and gained some degree of comfort for the rest of the day. They were always in my bag as a back up after that. Maybe you saw me and felt sorry for me and my misguided fashion statement.I figured whatever kept me moving ...and stuck with the mantra My hubby kept encouraging me with....'will you ever see these people again". I guess it just FELT like 10 miles J62. Thanks
Apr 27th, 2008, 10:45 AM

It won't help you now, but for others an FYI...I'm just back from Paris and always pack with me Johnson and Johnson's Band Aids for blisters. They stay on FOREVER (it seems) and somehow stop a blister from acting up if you put the band aid on right when you feel it starting.

My problem, three days after returning home, are horrible charley horses in my calves and painful arches. I just had a pedicure to alleviate the soreness (it worked) but there was a lot of walking and it is awful to suffer through it!
Apr 27th, 2008, 10:51 AM

I walked and walked and walked on my last Paris trip. I had great shoes and boots, so no blisters, but by the end of the day my legs ached from my lower back all the way down. I think I have developed some arthritis in my knees and my legs were giving me horrible problems after I got home. Little by little they have gotten better but my knees still bother me a bit.

We used the metro quite a bit but still ended up walking for miles. I hated the Concord stop. When I saw that third flight of stairs coming up out of the metro I wanted to cry. Mind brain was screaming NO, NO!!!!!!!! LOL
Apr 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM
tod

Obviously we are all not training in the gym every day otherwise we wouldn't feel a thing.
Because of my non-gymnase lifestyle I am taking loads of Cataflam along on this holiday. Boy, do these babies work wonders on overstressed ligaments and joints. Also kind to a persons stomach.
Apr 27th, 2008, 11:06 AM

amyb - try an orthotic with arch support that you put into your shoe in place of the inner sole that is there. This will help as well stretching exercises (stand with the ball of your feet on a stair and drop your heel then bring it up level again) - do 30 of these a day and your whole legs will feel better. It's awful to be in pain on vacation.
Apr 27th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Thanks Adrienne....I'll try that. I'm also eating a lot of bananas, as that is meant to prevent the night time charley horses.

Tod, I'm actually a fitness instructor, so I'm in excellent shape through my work at the gym. But that said, none of us puts our body through non-stop walking from 8 a.m. to midnight for 10 days and expects to be pain free!
Apr 27th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Next time invest in a pair of Mephistos. They'll save your feet. Happy travels!

Apr 27th, 2008, 12:26 PM

Before we go to Europe, I train on a treadmill IN my hiking shoes and socks. I use the incline feature as well. I have custom made orthotics in my very supportive stable shoes. On top of those, I use an extra layer of cusioned insoles (I buy those shoes a size larger)

We hike anywhere from 5-10 hours per day and always walk in the cities as well. If you don't want to wear good running/hiking shoes, I suggest you get a pair of Cole Haan athletic/casual shoes with the Nike air sole and wear a good pair of orthotics in them. Also, never wear cotton socks! Wear hi-tech moisture wick socks designed for athletes. I bought synthetic type hiking socks last year which were awesome. For every day, I prefer a thinner athletic sock.

I believe that training your body for a trip is as important as the researching you do in books and online. I see so many (Americans) huffing and puffing trying to get up to a castle or other site. Europeans walk a LOT more than we do and it's a lot more enjoyable to have stamina to enjoy a busy trip!
Apr 27th, 2008, 12:47 PM

Just a note, do not rely on Mappy to tell you how far you walked, Mappy goes efficently, we on the other hand tend to wander off track , up the wrong streets to be most direct, around in circles etc.
Form the Louvre to the Eiffel Tower if FAR if you do it my way, LOL .

I walk lots at home, in Paris I walk at least twice as much,, easily. I took a Bike tour and they said we biked about 15-17 kilometers, well I knew the day before we had walked at least a similar route perhpas more,, ,,, no wonder our tooties hurt!
Apr 27th, 2008, 09:26 PM

My granddaughter and her husband were here with me for a week. She had a pedometer and every day it was 5 - 6 miles that we walked! I was amazed! I don't think I am walking as much since they have been gone....
Apr 27th, 2008, 11:11 PM

Well, this is how we determined early on to take the buses!

And, the very most comfortable shoes you can possibly find are worth whatever they cost. And, not necessarily ugly.

I've found that, in Paris, you tend to walk much more than you intend or can possibly imagine. On the map, it looks like it's "right over there", but it's a HIKE!

Even on a solo trip, every day as I set out, I determined not to walk so much, but did so anyway.

Also, you have to take care of your feet. Before you leave, and while you're there. Have band-aids and moleskin in your pocket, so you can treat those blisters when they first appear.
Apr 28th, 2008, 01:47 AM

Just returning a few days ago, I agree that my feet have never worked so hard. Certainly,part of this is because we did not take taxis anywhere to save some money. I agree the bus was terrific, but I couldn't always figure out where to get a bus to take us where we wanted to go. The Metro really worked better but, yes those steps. About three days into our trip I discovered the escalator at at the other end of the Ecole Militaire station-heaven! I wear orthotics normally and wore my nikes the first few days, but I found the top of my foot gave me the most trouble. I then switched to moccasins- a little better. Considering the ugly (black or red basketball) sneakers I saw so many woman wearing, my white nikes looked fine to me. My daughter wore her Uggs ( it was certainly cool enough) and had little trouble with her feet-- she complained more about her back!
Apr 28th, 2008, 01:55 AM

Don't forget that you can now rent a bicycle all over the city.
The price is 1 EUR for the first 30 minutes.
Vélibí is a Self Service "bike hire" system available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Multi pick up and drop off location allows you to pick up your bike from one service point and drop off to another.
You will find details on the Paris city hall website : http://www.en.velib.paris.fr/
Apr 28th, 2008, 03:36 AM

Lady:
I can walk many miles on trips, but I do train for it. My sister had knee problems in Paris so we had to figure out how to keep our pace. Bus was the answer. If you keep practicing, the bus becomes as easy as the metro.

The main advantage to the bus is (in my opinion) not the lack of stairs. It's the fact that the bus will usually get you much closer to your destination. Metro stations are widely dispersed, leaving you a long trek at either end.

When we are heading across town to a given location we: 1) Locate the most convenient metro station at the other end, 2) Is it close? If so, take the metro. If not, which bus could we take from the metro? 3) Compare that to bus the entire way.

Frankly, the bus usually wins because the departure bus stop will almost always be nearer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO