Gondolas and Catacombs

Jul 5th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Lin

Gondolas and Catacombs

The only information I can find on the gondola rides in Venice is that they last about 50 minutes and are expensive. Does anyone know of a gondolier or company that will offer a tailor-made ride, as long as we want to go and where we want to go? Do any of them book ahead?
Secondly, do taxis go out to the catacombs in Rome, and would it be hard to catch one to return?
Thanks for any info!

Jul 5th, 2002, 10:57 PM
Doug Weller

We took a bus to St. Priscilla's catacombs. But then we like using local transportation.

Doug

Jul 6th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Dick

There are actually several different catacombs in and around Rome. We went to the ones clustered along the Via Appia Antica to the south of the city. It's been a couple years, so I forget the exact stop, but you can take the Metro, then a bus that drops you off at the Via Appia. Really very simple. You can then walk one way (away from Rome) on the original paving stones that the Roman Legions walked (the grooves from wagons and chariots are still clearly visible) on past various ruined family tombs from the same era. Or head the other way past the Circus of Maxentius and on to the catacombs - as I recall there are three different ones in that area. We went to San Callisto. The area is very scenic and it's a nice excursion out of the city.

Jul 6th, 2002, 05:32 AM
MM

I just returned from Venice yesterday. The godola rides range anywhere in price from 80 Euros up. The price varied depending on the gondola company/group. We paid 80 euros for a 35-40 minute ride. That was a good rate from what we heard others paying (120 euros for the same time). You can pay even more if you have an accordian player or a singer on the gondola with you. As far as a tailor-made ride, I suppose money can buy you anything in Venice. However, it seems that each company had specific routes that they could ride. The boat traffic in Venice, especially right now in the peak of tourism, can be crazy. The boats are very limited to the space/routes in which they are allowed to travel. Maybe someone else has more information regarding this. Good luck.

Jul 6th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Walter

Lin: There is an hourly hop-on/hop-off tourist bus that travels to the Catacombs, along the Via Appia Antica and alot of other sites with a tourguide. But the tourguide just announces the stops and points out places of interest, it's history etc (you hop-off on your own. Type-in archeobus in the "Text Search", click "Italy" & "Find". Regards, Walter

Jul 8th, 2002, 07:54 PM
Lin

Thank you all for the insights. MM, we arrive in Venice on the 11th. Anything I should know about? Problems, closures, construction? How's the weather? How are the crowds? What did you like best? Thanks again!

Jul 9th, 2002, 09:26 AM
MM

Lin,
Here are some of MY observations of Venice: the sights to see are really the island itself; wander off the beaten path to get a true sense of Venice; it was very crowded, especially near St. Mark's square -- that is another reason you should wander off the beaten path; go to the fruit open market near the Rialto Bridge; the weather was very nice as there was always a cool breeze coming off the water; just about everyone speaks English; it seemed to me that more people smoked in Venice than Florence or Rome; getting lost is just part of the experience-- just follow the nearest sign to the closest main attraction; taking the elevator ride up the tower next to San Giorgio Maggiore church was well worth the 3 Euro - amazing panoramic views of Venice; generally speaking the canals did not stink, just some of the small ones; Murano was a waste of time, one big tourist trap to go into their glass factories and buy stuff in their showrooms; definitely purchase a multi-day vaporetto pass if you are there for more than 2 days (we purchased a 3 day vaporetto pass and used it well the 3 days that we were there). Restaurants seemed to be hit-or-miss. If you are looking for good food and good service at an inexpensive restaurant (which is VERY rare in Venice) try Osteria de Carla. It's a bit hard to find, but it was well worth finding (tel. 041-523-7855. It is about a 3 minute walk from St. Mark's square. Trattoria del Toma was also a good meal that was not terribly expensive. That is located on the Campo Toma. Both places served very good meals and had good house wine. Again, nothing fancy, but good food and service. I could go on, but I hope this information is helpful to you. Post any other specific questions. Have a great trip.

Jul 9th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Lin

MM, I'm glad I saw your post before we leave! Thanks for your help esp regarding the affordable restaurants (we are taking our teenagers). Ciao!

Jul 9th, 2002, 06:01 PM
ron

many thanks-we leave Thursday will post on return