Transportaion Rome/Florence/Ven

Jan 24th, 2005, 04:22 PM
wsz
Original Poster

Transportaion Rome/Florence/Ven

What is the best means of transportation to get around Rome/Florence and Venice? Is it better to purchase a pass of some sort or buy individual tickets?we will be spending about 3 days in each city.
Jan 25th, 2005, 04:39 AM

Wendy - Really you can see the sights in all three cities on foot.

Florence is very compact, and in Venice half the fun is wandering around and ... getting lost.

In Rome the main sights (- with the exception of the Vatican) are fairly central and are within walking distance of each other.

If you prefer not to walk in Rome - or you're staying at a hotel away from the centre - a 3-day public transport pass for buses & metro (BTI) would be a good investment at only €11.00

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Jan 25th, 2005, 05:52 AM
ira

Hi wsz,

There is no need to go through a comercial travel agency site to get a link to raileurope.

You can find train prices and schedules for Italy at www.trenitalia.com/en.

You can buy your tickets up to 60 days in advance.

As noted, the part of Florence you will be interested in is very small and walkable.

Bus routes (1E each way) in Florence are at http://www.ataf.net/Default_EN.asp

Metro and bus routes in Rome are at http://www.atac.roma.it/

Vaporetto routes in Venice are at http://www.actv.it/

We took the no. 7 bus in Florence to Fiesole to watch the sunset, and the no. 13 to Pzza Michaelangelo for the view. Otherwise, we walked.

In Venice, we take the Vaporetto once to see the Grand Canal and walk the rest of the time.

Enjoy your trip.

Jan 25th, 2005, 08:54 AM

I have experience with Rome and Venice. Both of which are very different. The most important transportation issue with Rome is where your hotel is. If you stay to far out from the center of the city, a good part of your day will be spent going to and from your hotel. Rome is neither car or transport friendly, best to walk.

Venice on the other hand is a carless wonder. The vapparatto system is effective in moving around the city, but considering it is three miles across Venice, walking is just as effective, except for trips out to the other islands. The day pass is a great deal for getting around Venice, and gives you the freedom to stay at a hotel away from the San Marco crush. I do reccomend staying in Venice and not accross in Mestre.
Jan 25th, 2005, 09:50 AM

As the others have stated, these cities are completely walk-able. Roma, of course, being the largest of the 3 and has the most options. Even though there are the 2 Metros there, I rely on walking and busses to take me around. I use the convenient busses (#s 64 and 40 especially) that cross the main sections of Rome. Alternatively, there is the convenient "Archeobus" that starts/stops near Piazza Navona that goes along to all the tourist sites, Roman forum, etc for ~11 euros per person. You can get on and off at leisure, always reboarding with the same ticket.

In Venice, they sell the vaporetto pass in increments of like 8 hours, or a 24 hour period. We usually buy the smaller time allotment for sojourns along the Grand Canal and out to the islands of Murano, Burano, etc. I believe they sell a 3 day pass too.

Each train station has an information office/desk that will have tourist packages or discount ticket offers that will help you out. Rather than pre-buy, I would just wait to get there and see what you end up doing. You might end up walking everywhere and will save yourselves some $$.

Search this Thread