Going to Rome for the 1st time

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there seasoned travellers...I have a questions about Euro exchange at the airport, is it inside the airport? What about credit cards, ATM cards and Debit cards. Where you able to use them. Was there an added charges when you came back home such as surcharges, etc. Pleas share, good or bad. Thanks.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 04:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
There's a very long post on the newest scam.

They charge (or in some cases suggest as a convenience to you) in $US. You may not realize that they've charged you a very high rate.

Many credit cards charge 2% to convert now. Some will charge a fee to pay overseas even if it's in $US.

Decide if you want them to charge in the local currency and have your card company convert. Tell them in advance.

Until now, when we travel to Europe, I bring with several hundred in loacal currency and use a credit card whenever possible. Most places take it.

ATMs are sometimes a problem and other times not. So I haven't bothered although it might be a convenience.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 05:25 AM

Best way to go is ATM/debit cards. Better rates at the machines than at exchange windows/banks. No problem finding the machines in Rome. And yes, right there in the airport. My bank charges a tiny fee, no big deal. Worth it. When are you going?? You will love it! I'm excited for you.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 10:31 AM

I also suggest using your ATM/Debit card. We definitely got the best exchange rates by using my atm card each time we were in Rome. We did encounter several machines that just wouldn't work for us, but we found so many machines all over the city that finding another one that worked was never a problem.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

I am going in two weeks with my best friend. I have made arrangements for a shuttle to pick us up at FCO the shuttle is charging us 41 euro from FCO to our hotel. Then 43 from hotel to FCO. Early pick up. Oh also, we have a flight at 7:35 AM so I asked the shuttle to pick us up early.. do you think that's enough time at the airport with security and all? Our flights is going to Frankfurt, then Toronto, then home Baltimore..Thanks
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 11:43 AM
LJ

ATM's that don't work for your particular card are generally all related. For example, note whether in a successful transaction the sponsoring Banco for the ATM was Roma or Napoli or Toscano or whatever and then look for that again and it will work again. We consistently had no problems with pre-set amounts (as noted on the selction screen) at Banco Napoli. But when we tried other ATM's or when we requested amounts not suggested on the screen at Banco Napoli, but put in our own as we were in the habit of doing back home, thats when we ran into difficulty.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 12:11 PM

Someone just posted today that the money exchange desks at FCO (not the ATMs) have the most absurdly poor rates I've ever heard, something like a 22% mark-up. If you can't use the ATM, try to pay for your transportation with a credit card. Or exchange the absolute least amount you need to get into the city.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Doble_Vergasser

I recommend that you check the condition of the magnetic strip on the back of the card.

I had one card that worked sporadically in Europe (a pain). I never had a problem in this country (before or at return) but the bank showed me where the magnetic strip was badly beaten up.

Old Oct 30th, 2005, 02:08 PM

My husband and I flew out of Rome to Philadelphia 2 weeks ago. We had an 11 am flight and left our hotel in the center of Rome at 7:30 am. It took about 45 mins. to get to the airport. My suggestion is to allow plenty of time to check in and get through security.

Re ATMs: They are abundant in Rome but we found several that were out of money by late afternoon.

Be sure to call your credit card company before you leave to inform them of the dates you will be away.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 02:34 PM

Ditto on ATMs as the way to go. As in the US, choose one at a bank or affiliated with a major bank. (Even here inUS, "independent" ATMs are sketchy, can sometimes be information collectors, can sometimes have higher withdrawal fees, etc.)
Money exchange desks and kiosks are nearly always costlier, from a flat fee to a higher %. (They're not paying rent and wages for nothing ...) At an ATM you're essentially paying withdrawal fees. And since they're everywhere (even in small towns you may visit), you don't have to carry as much cash around. In any case, it's easier and cheaper than traveler's checks.

A tip: have an extra card with you hidden in a place you won't have to take it out on the street, say in a money belt.This could be a credit card that has cash advance capabilities. If you should lose the first card for any reason, you're covered in case of emergency.Along with that, make a photo copy of your passport and keep it separate from the passport, for instance hidden in your suitcase, or inside your money belt. In case of loss or theft of your passport, this copy will make getting a replacement from the US Embassy MUCH easier.
Old Oct 30th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much everyone. I hope I can pay back the favor. When I get back, I will post some information good..or bad!!!! Merlina