Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Question on how & where to exchange currancy arriving in Roma

Question on how & where to exchange currancy arriving in Roma

Aug 18th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Eileen

Question on how & where to exchange currancy arriving in Roma

Hi Everyone: I have a question, I will be arriving in Rome on a Saturday when banks are closed. I need to obtain a rather large amount of euros to pay the B&B where I am staying when I arrive. How do you suggest I go about making that cash transaction. My ATM has a daily limit so that's out. Will it be a problem at the airport in Rome to get 1300.00 euros? I am traveling alone so I will take a limo from the airport rather than the express train for my own peace of mind. I don't want to carry that kind of cash on the train. Any personal exeriences or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Eileen

Aug 18th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Surlok

Eileen,

There's an American Express exchange office in the Spanish Steps, as well other places that remain open on Saturdays, and even on Sundays in Rome. However, if you know beforehand you'll need 1300 Euro, when checking in at this B&B, why not exchange this amount home before leaving, as opposed to going into the hassle of exchanging money in a hurry, not knowing the rate you'll be given upon your arrival? You'd be bringing cash with you, anyway, wouldn't you?

Good luck,

s

Aug 18th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Chet

Hi Eileen:

Be sure to take a DEBIT card with you. Stop at the first ATM at the airport that services your card system amd withdraw euros. I doubt if you can get 1300 euros in one transaction, but I am sure you can get enough (250 to 500, depending on the machine and your card limit) to get you into Rome until you can get to a bank or another ATM machine. You will find them readily available throughout Rome. Personally, I WOULD NOT carry 1300 euros in cash in Rome or any place else. Why not pay for your B&B by credit card? DO NOT USE YOUR CREDIT CARD for a cash withdrawal; you will be charged for a cash advance fee plus incur interest from the date of the transaction. I have used airport and other ATM's throughout Italy with no problem. Goodluck!! Some more advice: Check with your CREDIT CARD bank to find outs its policy for transactions in foreign currency. Some of the banks (Bank America, Amex, First National) add a 2 to 3% surcharge upon the Visa or MC basic 1% fee. DO NOT USE THOSE CARDS for foreign currency transactions. Some banks that do not add the surcharge are MBNA, USAA, Fidelity.
Good luck. Ciao, Chet

Aug 18th, 2002, 11:14 PM
recently

Another alternative would be to give your credit card # as a guarantee for the E 1300 when you check in at the B&B and then slowly withdraw Euro 250 or 500 a day and pay at the end. Worked for us; the B&B had a signed credit card slip, which we tore up at checkout. Saves carrying large amounts of cash and looking around for good exchange rates at arrival (when you have other things to worry about).

Rgds

Aug 18th, 2002, 11:23 PM
aleena

I tto would advise you NOT to carry that much cash.The place you're staying at should understand your situation.I would get enough mony just to cover the weekend stay and then ask them where to get the cash on Monday.

Aug 18th, 2002, 11:47 PM
Eileen

Thanks - for the great advise everyone. I'm going to e-mail the owners of the b&b to see if they will let me pay for the weekend till I can get to a bank on Monday... They have a deposit on my credit card but only accept cash for the balance. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again!

Aug 19th, 2002, 04:01 AM
Bob C

Most B&B ask for payment when you check out. So ask about that when you check with them. You may not have a problem.

Search this Thread