Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip to Rome and Sorrento - Cash,CC or Travelr Cks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2003, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like your comments on what we should bring to our trip to Rome.
Should be have cash in hand or credit cards (which ones? Discover, Visa, MC or AMEX?) or travelers cheques?
What is most practical and convenient?
Thanks in advance for your input....
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 04:56 AM
Maira

This is a popular inquiry on this forum and it would be useful for you to browsed past suggestions. I personally change about $100 to Euros at the airport (either departure/arrival depending on time constraints), and also take two CC; one I always carry with me, the other I typically leave on a safe back at the hotel as a backup. I also take with me a debit/ATM card, (which may double use as a CC). What I find I use most is the debit card--- I use it as an ATM and also to pay for purchases similar to a CC.

If you are a plus member of AAA, you get traveler checks for free. With CC charging a fee for overseas charges(typically 2%), this is not a bad option. I didn't use to take travelers checks; the new fee imposed on CCs use while overseas is making me reconsider this.

Old Sep 28th, 2003, 04:57 AM

I know this may sound rude, but this question is asked at least a dozen times every week, and every traveler has answered it dozens of times. If you enter "Cash or Traveler's checks" or "Cash or Credit Card" in the search function window, you will thousands of responses that you can sort through. That makes a lot more sense than the same posters repeating their same answers over and over.

But I will summarize for you anyway:

If having a little cash in advance makes you feel more comfortable, then get some before you go -- small amount.

Traveler's checks are out of date but you can take one or two (at a big loss when you buy them or cash them) for emergencies.

Credit cards and ATMs will give you the best rate. ATMs are everywhere and most places except the smalles mom and pops will take credit cards.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 05:00 AM

Question to Maira:
You mention that AAA does travelers checks for free -- but can you name a place in the world that will cash them without a conversion fee that is higher than the 1 to 3% conversion fee charged by credit cards? Hotels and stores for example will typically charge 5 to 10% higher to convert them then the standard rate. And if you buy them at AAA in the foreign currency the rate will be equally bad. It's not the "fee", it's the conversion rate than gets you.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 05:37 AM

Roxby: I see by your other post you are leaving Thursday. If this is your 1st overseas trip (I'm assuming you're American or Canadian be sure to contact your CC companies and tell them you are going to Europe and will be using your CC's.
It's happened to me and others where the CC company has blocked the card thinking it or the number was stolen. Just call the number on the back of your card.
ATM & CC are the best to use with TC as a emergency back-up.
Try to get *small* bills from either your bank or at the airport. I take enough to get me to the hotel by taxi/limo, tips (small bills), etc just in case there is a problem with the airport ATM.
Also another back-up is new bills like the US $20/50/100 that you can exchange at money exchange offices/booths. But both of these options will give you bad exchange rates though.
AMEX is located near the Spanish Steps and will cash personal checks for members so that's another back-up.
For some planing info try www.twenj.com check-out "Excursions" on the Rome sidebar for daytrips.
In the "Text Search" at the top of this page type-in archeobus click-on "Italy" & "Find" for easy directions to the Catacombs. Also do a text search on julius caesar for walk I wrote, if it interests you e-mail me and I send you a better copy. The link it's on in the "Google" achives makes it very hard to follow.
Have A Wonderful Trip! Regards, Walter

Old Sep 28th, 2003, 08:11 AM

My husband & I just got back from our trip to Rome, Naples, Capri and Sorrento.
I brought my MasterCard. It seemed to me that there were more VISA logos than any other credit card. I did not, however, experience any problems using my credit card at places with the VISA logo.
I use my credit card at home for everything. Everyone in Europe asked me for cash. A lot tourist places, like churches and museums, do not take credit cards.
Also, they want SMALL bills. Every time I gave them a 50 EUR, they wanted me to give them something smaller. You may also need coins for certain public transporation.
I did not use any traveler's checks this vacation. Some people on my cruiseship tried to use them and were told no. If you go this route, AAA does offer EUR traveler's cheques (the last time I checked)so they won't rip you off on an exchange.
I was also asked for id when giving my credit card so make sure you have a driver's license on you as well.
My one friend recommended just using your ATM card across Europe. That's how she avoided exchange fees and only took what she needed.
One restaurant we ate at said "oh sorry, our credit card machine is broken". Another restaurant wanted to know how much we were going to charge before allowing me to do so.
I was not afraid for my cash in Rome, Capri or Sorrento.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 08:19 AM

yes, Patrick, I can name you several such places. The change bureau on bd Montparnasse near the Vavin metro station in Paris, for one. Credit Geneeral de Bourse at 95 bd du Montparnasse. Their rate on 6/23/03 to exchange USD TCs to euro was .848 (interbank rate was .864 if you check www.oanda.com, this is -1.9 pct). A bureau de change in Chinatown on 6/22/03 was givine .845 and the interbank rate was .8613 (-1.8 pct). The one on the Champs Elysees across from the Gap store (don't recall name) was giving .852 euro for USD1 and the interbank was that date, if you want to check, was .853.No, there were no separate fees on top of the exchange rate at any of these places, and I know others, also, but this should be enough. I know this for a fact as I was there and I've known these places for years in Paris and they consistenly give good rates as well as others such as the Parisvision exchange bureau. I know some in other cities also.

I know your opinion is that people should buy them in euro which I think is dead wrong because you pay a lot to do that when there is no reason, and you also believe that you have to lose 10 pct or more to cash them in Europe from USD, but I know from experience this is not true.

Perhaps because you don't use them you aren't aware that many exchange bureaux charge much less than hotels and stores. I agree hotels and stores are not a good place to cash them, usually.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 12:12 PM
Maira

Thanks Christina for a well thought out post-- really good information. We all need to learn a couple of things here and there and I am sure glad you are willing to share.

Old Sep 28th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your feedback and I apologize for posting a question that seems to have been beaten to the pulp...but I had just found this forum today and because of the extremely short time I have to plan, I posted without reading all the historical posts....
But thanks again for your input!
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 06:29 PM

We just got back from Rome. Yes, the cc's charged 2 percent. We primarily used our ATM's. The machines are everywhere and we just got money every couple of days. Just make sure you have enough in your account before you leave. Have fun!!!!!! Don't worry about posting something that has been posted a million times. Everyone was new at some point. You are going to have a blast! Oh yeah, we just used ATMs in the airport as soon as we arrived and got our Euros to begin the trip. Make sure you check to see what your bank charges. We found that the ones in Europe charged nothing additional...so, it is just "whatever" your bank charges. Since mine is unlimited free, we went about every other day. If you have to pay for your ATMs, you may want to get more money and not go as often as we did. Traveler's cheques are just a pain.
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 07:57 PM

Christina, I think you've missed one of my main points about travelers checks. Most people say they are for "emergencies". Emergencies do not always happen between 9 or 10 AM and 4 PM, Monday through Friday, which are banking hours. Emergencies generally mean having to cash one at your hotel or at a store when your credit card doesn't work or they won't take it. Then you are at their mercy for what rate they will use, and I guarantee you it will not be so favorable as those rare bank examples you used above.

That 10 percent I am talking about is for cashing travelers checks in stores or hotels not banks. I can read the clearly posted exchange rates behind the desks at most hotels and I assure you they are far closer to 10% than to 1%!!! If you can always rely on bank hours, then the ATM is fine -- there is no emergency, and even if for some unknown reason the card won't work, if the bank is open, they can handle it for you. End of potential problem.