Going To Paris End Of May-Looking For Location & Hotel Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to be in Paris 5 days at the end of May, 2009. I have only been there once in 1979, We stayed in the Gare Saint Lazare area. I have in my mind I would like a hotel that is small and quaint, something french and frilly. I am not that much into the more "modern european style" I do not have a big budget, looking at about $175.00 USD. I would really like to be in an area where I can walk to shops and restaurants and is close to transportation. I would like to have your ideas. TIA
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 08:26 PM

go to Cybevasion, or Venere dot com. Cybevasion has great photos of the hotels and rooms and description of the districts and venere has good prices.

Good locations are the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th arrondissments.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 01:35 AM

I can recommend this hotel; maybe just above your price range? .
http://www.paris-hotel-muguet.com/English/Rates.html
It is in a nice quiet area and the hotel was very clean.
check tripadvisor for other reviews and search on this site

enjoy your trip
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 02:01 AM
ira

Hi HP,

We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 131E dbl w/bkfst. It is just around the corner from Place St. Sulpice, near 3 metro stops and 4 bus routes. Has AC and an elevator.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
[email protected]
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search this forum" box.

It is not frilly, but it is very French.

You can walk to the Bon Marche', as well as hundreds of other shops of all sorts.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 12:40 PM

If you want frou-frou, I would really suggest the Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais in the Marais as a perfect fit (great location, also). I don't think it's in your budget, though, but it's not super expensive (150 euro for regular double).
http://www.carondebeaumarchais.com/

Another very good choice would be the HOtel des Grandes Ecoles, and it is a little cheaper than the above.

http://www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com/

A lof of Parisian hotels,even when very French, or not necessarily modern Euro style, are not at all frilly or quaint. Just don't get your expectations up about what a charming, cutesy hotel you are going to get with that low budget, at least if the value of the USD remains like it is now -- that is only about 120 euro. I don't think even the 2* Bonaparte that Ira mentions is in that range (and it isn't frilly).
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank You to those have replied. I will look into these recommendations.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 04:44 PM

The 7th arr. is an excellent choice. The Rue Cler area, even though popular with tourists remains worth staying near as it is full of bakeries, wine shops, cheese shops, flower shops, small supermarkets etc... The area is safe and transportation is good. We stayed at the Hotel du Champs de Mars and were pleased.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 07:30 PM

We have stayed in the 5th at Hotel Familia and will stay there again in September. The rooms are small, as are most Paris hotel rooms, but clean and tasteful, and the breakfast room is quite charming. The rates range from 99 euro up. It is walking distance to Notre Dame and to the Latin Quarter.
www.hotel-paris-familia.com
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 12:25 AM
tod

A second vote for Hotel Grand Ecoles. Most beautiful provincial garden setting, lacy bedspeards, flowery wallpaper, breakfast outdoors under umbrellas. What more could you ask for - Oh, restaurants on the doorstep!
If you go to their website you will see that they have a time-table for bookings: get in at the 1st day you can book and request a lower(ground)floor room which allows you to step out of your room directly into the garden.
We loved it - this past May!