Search

Glasgow to EDI?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glasgow to EDI?

Is there a relatively easy, economical way to go from Glasgow to EDI for a 10 am flight?

After four nights in Edinburgh in August, we thought we'd spend the next three nights in Glasgow before taking an EasyJet flight to Switzerland. (Yes, we have reserved at a B and B for the nights in Edinburgh, and have ordered tickets for a few performances.) The plan then is to head to Glasgow on Saturday, do a day trip by coach or train on Sunday or Monday, see the city/museums the other day, and leave for Switzerland on Tuesday. The flight is booked.

In my research so far, I'm not seeing anything from the city of Glasgow to EDI. I know we could easily go to Edinburgh, then take a coach or shuttle to the airport but I doubt we could do it all on Tuesday morning leaving adequate time for check-in. And we'd rather not cut short our time in Glasgow by returning to Edinburgh on Monday...

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
K

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:56 AM

Good question but I could not find an answer other than an early train from Glascow Queen Street Station to Edinburgh train station. It takes about an hour, then either coach or taxi to the airport. For a 10 am departure I would take the 6 am train. You might try to find out if they have a service like the ones in London...Just Airports or Ray Skinner type private service.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:31 AM

For a 10:00am flight you've got the problem of Rush Hour. So train to Edinburgh HAYMARKET station (NOT Edinburgh Waverley) then the airport bus number 100 from just outside is probably the best.

Any other time I'd say that coach & train take the same amount of time.

Details of the 100 bus are to be found on the Edinburgh Airport website & trains on www.nationalrail.co.uk

But wouldn't it have been better to have done Glasgow first then Edinburgh so you would have been in the right city on the day?
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Of course, alanRow, but we had not thought it through clearly (we clearly had not thought it through!).

In fact, I was about to book a flight GLA-LHR-BSL when my Basel-based daughter strongly cautioned against a transfer at LHR. She has had--and heard about--too many difficulties making connections at LHR.

BTW, we are on a bmi flight (not EasyJet).

Thanks, alanRow. I'll check the nationalrail site and the EDI site. I appreciate that you emphasize the Haymarket station...

rogerdodger, I haven't yet found any reference to a private car service for EDI but I'll try to do a google search. I am grateful for the suggestions.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 02:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You know - w/ a morning flight you are going to have to start out awfully early in the a.m.

So that last night in Glasgow really won't be a late night anyway. If it were me - I'd cancel the last night in Glasgow and book one night right at the airport. Getting a room IN Edinburgh would be tough - but maybe at a property like the Quality Hotel at EDI would have availability.

You could leave Glasgow after dinner so not lose any sightseeing time there.