Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Flying Into Manchester - travelling to Edinburgh

Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a family trip to Scotland and London for August. Working now on the air arrangements and considering lots of different options to get us the best routes and fares.

Here's a question:

How difficult is Manchester airport to maneuvre in?

Is it possible to make a transfer from American Airlines to BMI in 65 minutes? Would think with customs that might be tough.

Is the train from Manchester to Edinburgh an option? Cab to train station? Or train from airport?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:53 AM

Manchester airport isn't that big; but if you have to change terminals it can be up to a 20 minute walk. 65 minutes would probably be tight but if BMI say it's OK and you miss it, since it's a 'proper' airline they'll just put you on the next flight - there up to 7 a day (fewer at weekends). Try FlyBE too - they have 4-7 flights a day.

It's not that difficult to get a train, either - there is a station right inside the airport, you just get a train to Manchester Piccadilly then another direct train to Edinburgh.

So either is OK, but flying is a bit easier & quicker.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Caroline from Edinburgh--

Thanks so much...you gave me all of the information I needed to help make an informed decision.

Here's another quick question: how much would you guess cab fare is from GLA to Princes Street Edinburgh and from EDI to Princes Street Edinburgh?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:14 AM

Rather than get taxi's see the public transport options from both Glasgow & Edinburgh Airports (check their websites for details)

For example a direct bus to Princes Street from Edinburgh Airport costs £3 one way & takes about 20 minutes

And exactly where do you want to be on Princes Street?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
GLA is west of Glasgow - a cab to Edinburgh will be VERY expensive since you are talking about approx 55 miles . . . .

For EDI - a fast/cheap direct airport coach goes right down Princes street. But a cab wouldn't be terrible.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:22 AM

For GLA to Edinburgh the cheapest option is Citylink coaches - you get one into Glasgow then a few yards away get a coach into Edinburgh
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to both Janis and Alan. I feared the expense of the cab from GLA to Princes Street. Know we can take a coach (thanks Alan for the name of the company) but are leaning toward flying directly to EDI.

Do you think I'm crazy to even consider training from Manchester?

We are probably staying at an Edinburgh Hilton or Sheraton to use points.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Train from Manchester is fine. Flying from Manchester is fine. Actual travel time by train won't be that much longer when you factor travel in from the airport. The train will drop you at Waverly station right on Princes street.

I'd just go w/ which ever gave you the best fares . . . .
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks...I'm leaning toward the train (if the fare I am getting--$130--is actually for all four of us) and also because I'm thinking it might be more comfortable for everyone to be crashing on the train rather than sitting in airport chairs!

And I just booked the Caledonian so I think that's close to Waverley so no cab.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:24 PM

I want to say that our cab ride from EDI to Princes Street was no more than 15 or 20 GBP for the 2 of us.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:34 PM

<<< Do you think I'm crazy to even consider training from Manchester? >>>

Most people wouldn't think of flying between MAN & EDI especially if your final destination is the centre of either
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Caley hotel is at the other end of Princes Street from the station, so you might want to get a cab then. It depends on how tired you are and if it's raining!
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:17 AM

Taxi fare from GLA to Princes Street Edinburgh would be at least £60 - more if it's the rush hour or slow traffic for any other reason. Bus from GLA into Glasgow and then bus or train to Edinburgh would be better.

Cab fare from EDI to Princes Street Edinburgh would now be £18-20 at most times of the day, but maybe up to £30 in the rush hour. As others say, the airport bus is as quick and only £3 per head. It also stops very near the Caledonian, on Shandwick Place.

Waverley is the other end of Princes Street from the Caley - about a 15 minute walk - so with luggage you'd probably want a taxi.

If you can fly direct to EDI of course that is easiest ! But if MAN is a lot cheaper, it's a reasonable thing to do.

Alan : "Most people wouldn't think of flying between MAN & EDI especially if your final destination is the centre of either" - I beg to differ, as I've done it many times, both on business and for the weekend.
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:17 AM

BUT are you "most people"? - and consider that there are 2 trains per hour to Manchester from early in the morning till late at night whereas there are only about 8 flights a day
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:24 AM

Of course I can only speak from personal experience, like anyone else - but flying is a quicker and you're less likely to suffer problems like delays, broken ac, screaming infants, etc.