Giverny and Paris museum questions

May 11th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Giverny and Paris museum questions

I have the opportunity to visit Giverny either the 8th or 17th of June. I know that these 2 dates are only a little over 1 week apart, but sometimes that short period of time can make all the difference in whether particular flowers are in bloom. I am most interestd in seeing the wisteria and water lilies. I also love iris but they will probably be out of bloom by June. Please advise me if the earlier or later date would be a better bet.

Also, I am putting together our itinerary and I am trying to decide whether my husband and I should visit the Louvre and the Musee D'Orsay during the day or in the evening on the days that these museums are open late. I would like to know the pros and cons of visiting these museums at either time.

Thanks for the help!
May 11th, 2003, 02:31 PM

Hi happy2travel,

I would suggest the late afternoon and evening of the late opening days. The museums will be less crowded at that time as the tour bus folks will be on their way to their hotels and independents will be going to dinner. I stress less crowded - not that they will be empty. The last 2 times I went to the Louvre was in the late afternoon. Also, if you're not buying a museum pass then there will be shorter lines and the price goes down after 3:00 or 3:30 at the Louvre. Was just there last week and the lines at the ticket windows were very short. We left at about 8:15 and there were very few people in the museum.

adrienne
May 11th, 2003, 02:45 PM

The wisteria should be in bloom but some years like now, it blooms alittle off, Be sure to visit down the road to the American Museum, featuring the American Impressionists who came there to be near Monet. Lunch at the"Ancient Hotel Bäudy"where they lived and painted. Now a museum/resto.
May 11th, 2003, 03:30 PM

I've been there in the summer when the water lilies were blooming, but I don't think there's any chance of that in early to mid June, that's in July into August. So, although it may be getting a little late for wisteria, you might as well go the earlier to try to get that, so I'd pick the 8th.

I've been to both museums in the evening and I also think it's a great time to go. It wasn't crowded when I did that, even in July. I also went late afternoon and so had several hours there. I can't think of any disadvantages to that.
May 11th, 2003, 04:54 PM
PJK

I vote for the 8th. I have been to Paris in late May/early June twice, and the iris and wisteria were still in bloom even though mine in Missouri had long past. If you love to see gardens, go to Bagatelle in the Bois de Bologne in Paris. There is a wonderful "room" of iris there along with the largest clematis I have ever seen, and of course, the roses are spectacular. There are other gardens in Paris which are listed in Fodor's guide book. PJK
May 12th, 2003, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions and tips.

PJK, I have read alot about the gardens in Bagatelle and am hoping to get there -it sounds gorgeous!