Reload this Page >

Girls, What do I wear in Austria?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Lotte

I don't plan to wear jeans and sneakers but what should I wear In Salzburg and Vienna so I don't look like an American raggamuffin?

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Duh!

Lederhosen, Loden coats, and dirndls....obviously

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 05:41 PM
mia

To Duh,<BR> Duh,why do you have to ruin a good site for people who like to help each other? Please don't post here again with that attitude.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Justin

European fashion is my bag, but since I'm male and you want advice from girls only, I'll refrain from responding. Have a nice trip.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Lotte

Justin I need you!<BR>Sorry to rule out the male gender in my quest for fashion advice. Tell me what you know?<BR><BR>Oh and to Duh, You are very rude.<BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 06:22 PM
John G

Having been to both Salzburg and Vienna, I can say that Duh is not off the mark when he suggested dirndls and loden jackets. Lanz is very exclusive shop in Vienna that sells such merchandise, and you will see many people dressed this way. I have also seen alot of people in Salzburg dressed in lederhosen, especially hikers.<BR><BR>The Viennese are formal people, so I would be a little "dressy" if I were you Lotte. By all means wear comfortable shoes and slacks, but maybe you could dress it up a bit with a colorful scarf, jewelry, or hat? You can dress in a comfortable manner without looking like a slob. Remember, grooming is everything.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:00 AM
Thersa

Lotte,<BR><BR>Viennese women tend to dress quite fashionably and formally. (If you really want to look like a Vieneese, I recommend a fur coat, high heels, small dog and cell phone, LOL!)<BR><BR>I agree with the previous poster -- comfortable but nice shoes and slacks, dressed up with a scarf and jewelery would be fine.<BR><BR>Every time I go to Vienna (from London) I feel I am not wearing enough jewelery, and end up buying some costume jewelery to complete my outfit!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:11 AM
Victoria

I wore fashionable trousers with sweater sets for sightseeing in both places, and felt that I "fit in," or at least didn't stand out.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 11:33 AM
comeon

What to wear in Austria? Duh, an Austrian of course!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:10 PM
BTilke

I've been to Austria 7 times in the last 24 months (last trip was less than 3 weeks ago) and one of the things I love about the country is that women there aren't afraid of wearing color! This is not a country where everybody wears black...but the colors are slightly different. Bright, but not loud. <BR>Women in Austria wear a lot of comfortable but very well made clothing. They know quality, but it's different from what you'd see in Italy and France. The emphasis is much less on what's in fashion for the season and more on beautiful but practical clothes you can still wear with pride 20 years from now (or have worn 20 years ago). They seem to have caught the knack for stylish clothes that don't become outdated quickly.<BR>Wear the best quality separates you own. Pants are fine. In the summer, anything in silk, cotton or linen will go well (even if the linen wrinkles). Culottes (coming back again) or sundresses instead of shorts. Don't wear jeans in summer, not because is a fashion no-no, but because you will be much too hot...it can get VERY warm in Austria in the summer (for a summer trip, make sure your hotel is air conditioned!). If it's warm, wear your comfortable sandals--you'll fit right in. <BR>If you can spend a little $$, buy some of the updated Austrian clothes found at many stores in Vienna and Salzburg. They are really stylish, in a unique way. And Tyrolean style clothes have been seen on the catwalk lately. <BR>Wear better quality costume or real jewelry. (Note: Laks is the Austrian equivalent of Swatch watches; you can pick one up at their store on the Karntnerstrasse.)<BR>If you're hiking around the countryside, wear comfortable, practical clothes. We spent 10 days in the Steiermark last August with a group of Austrians and Germans and we were the only ones who DIDN'T wear shorts and sneakers or lightweight hiking boots (and I've got the pictures to prove it!). But wear high socks for woodsy hikes because they do have ticks in Austria that carry Lyme disease...<BR>Have a great trip!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:33 PM
Woman

I'd offer advice but I'm a woman so I guess I'm ruled out also.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:39 PM
Hedy

If you're a middle aged gal and want to look like the Viennese, wear a black leather mini, fishnet stockings, stilletto heels and a tight top. Walk arm in arm with other women and kiss each other profusely on the lips whenever you must part. Let your dog take a crap on the sidewalk. Put your nose in the air at all those immigrants and foreigners who have ruined YOUR beautiful city!