Getting to Vienna from Amesterdam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am travelling to Europe in May and am focusing on Amesterdam (because of the tulip season), Switzerland and Austria.
I have been surfing the web to figure out the most economical way to get to Vienna from Amesterdam. It being a long journey, overnight train was my first option, but don't see any train schedules on the eurail website. Tried the low cost european airline websites. They did not help. Any suggestions on how I can get to Vienna from Amesterdam?
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

I visited skyeurope.com to check for tickets and see flights from Amsterdam to Vienna (Bartislava). What is Bartislava? Is it a suburb of Vienna?
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 01:59 PM

Ha ha - no - it's in Slovekia, another country. I believe there is a shuttle between there and Vienna, so it would be like two flights, I think.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:16 PM

Pre-W.W.I Bratislava was connected to Vienna via streetcar, I believe. You probably have a shuttle bus between Bratislava and Vienna.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Yes. I did read about a sky shuttle between Bartislava and Vienna. What about trains? I am reading up on how the train stuff works. Looks like De Bahn might have some options, but all the train stuff is so confusing...
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:22 PM

If you just want to go to Vienna, then take the coach provided by SkyEurope. That will take you directly to Vienna center for just 10 Euros. They have over 10 departures each way, 75-80 minutes. Timetable at SkyEurope's website. Click on "Destination" and then "How to get to the Airport".

That'd be faster, easier and cheaper than going into Bratislava and connect to a train.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:26 AM

Bratislava was formerly known as Pressburg during the time of the Austro- Hungarian Empire prior to World War 1. and was connected by a train.
The city about one hour from Vienna is now the capital of Slovakia with a relatively small airport.
The best connection as posted by rkkwan is the Sky europe bus.
The bus will leave you at a station ( not in the center of town) near a subway station that can take you to the city center.Of course you carry your luggage for these transfers.
Sky Europe probably has the best price if you book early. 20 kilo maximum luggage.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:40 AM

Trains leave Vienna daily:
6:07, ar Amsterdam 18:55
8:30 ar Amsterdam 20:52
10:30 ar 22:49
all above involve one or two changes of train
For a night train go to Munich (4.5 hr) then take night train from Munich at 22:40 arriving Amsterdam 9:41
Fare would cost about $215 one way in 2nd class
If doing any other trains consider Eurail Select Pass ($316 for five days of unlimited travel in two month period) good in Austria, Germany and Benelux - this is first class and the point-point first class ticket Vienna-Amsterdam may actually cost more than the pass. You could put Switzerland on a 4-country select pass for about $40 more. For current EurailSelect pass prices contact BETS (800-441-9413) who i buy passes through and are real European rail experts - they have a European Rail Hotline that will answer all rail questions - times, fares like you've asked without obligation, and believe me they know everything! Ask them to send you their free European Planning & Rail Guide that has tons of great info in it to plan your trip.