getting to Heathrow from Dover

Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
getting to Heathrow from Dover

Need to be at Heathrow at 2:15 pm. What is the best way to get to Heathrow from Dover? Arriving in Dover day before and enjoying sites. Want to go to flight at Heathrow next day from Dover.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 08:39 AM
ron

The simplest would be train from Dover Priory to London St Pancras followed by underground (tube) from King's Cross St Pancras to Heathrow. Total time would be about 2:30. See http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/ for schedule.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:24 AM

Rent a car and drive...all highway...well posted. Much more efficent.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Unfortunately -- Dover is more than a bit of a dump. The castle is magnificent, the town isn't. Normally I'd recommend visiting the castle after you land and then taking the train to a hotel near St Pancras and then the tube to LHR the next day.

But I suspect (could be totally wrong) that since you are coming off a cruise you will have a lot of luggage. There won't be any place convenient to leave your bags while you tour the castle.

So probably staying in Dover is your best option. I don't have any hotel recommendation in Dover since I avoid staying there
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:53 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh meant to include -- here is one transfer service that does Dover/LHR

http://www.adlg.co.uk/transportation_dover.htm

But do a google search and you'll find others. Count on paying anywhere from £150 to £200+

The only practical way to do it by public transport is through central London/St Pancras.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 02:45 PM

"all highway...well posted. Much more efficent"

Slower. More hassle. Costlier.

To call this "more efficient" is simply deranged. You really have to be an ignorant American tourist to claim anything so spectacularly fatuous.

Why do these dimwit Yanks so consistently churn out such extraordinary lack of knowledge of the world outside their insular shores?

As Ron said: the best (and quickest) way of doing this is to get a fast train to St Pancras. It's cheaper, though, to get a slower train to Victoria, tube to Hammersmith, then tube to LHR. Or (more hassle, but quicker) train to Victoria, tube to Green Park then tube to LHR.
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your replies and links. Very helpful. I am making inquiries, checking prices and schedules, to find the most practical yet cost effective mode of transport.

Is Dover really that much of a "dump" that we should not take a room there?
Old Apr 3rd, 2011, 11:04 PM

It's a rather dull town in itself, simply because its main business is getting lorries and cars on and off ferries; it's not the most economically vibrant place. There isn't a lot to see, apart from the Castle. And the sea, which you will have seen rather a lot of already.

Personally, I'd be worried more about timing - when do you have to be at Heathrow, and are you sure you've got the whole morning to get there? Train times and fares: www.nationalrail.co.uk.
Old Apr 4th, 2011, 10:04 AM

Hi Elaine,
You really do need to be at Heathrow 3 (Three) hours before flight time for International flights. Don't try cutting it short. It may go quickly but you really never know. I've been there and just sailed through, other times it has been jam packed and crowded and SLOW.
I have found some hotels around the Heathrow area that are quite reasonable, and, you could visit Windsor Castle with your free time rather than staying in the Dover area.
Sue
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. It was really helpful in making decisions and arrangements!
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 02:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes Dover really is a dump. We stayed there to visit the castle and wished we hadn't. It's a small, grim little town with lots of boarded up buildings. Not so much a destination as a hopping off point for France.

The castle was interesting but it was even hard to find somewhere to eat in Dover. As Janis mentions, your luggage is going to be the difficult part. You could try contacting the castle to see if they would store it for a few hours then catch the train into London for the night and out to Heathrow the next day.

To echo what SueHuml said, don't underestimate the crowds at Heathrow, and also on the trains/tube, it can be a bit of a zoo. You should be fine with public transport if you research beforehand - check weekend maintenance works for station and line closures for your dates if travelling Sat/Sun.

Kay