Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Heathrow to Leicester- arrange a car service or take the train from London?

From Heathrow to Leicester- arrange a car service or take the train from London?

Mar 17th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

We are 3 adults scheduled to arrive at Heathrow at approx. 6:30am on the Saturday of Easter weekend (transatlantic flight). We will then head immediately to Leicester.

I'd really appreciate your opinions on the better way to get to Leicester.

Public transport would involve the Heathrow X; tube from Gloucester to St Pancras; train from St Pancras to Leicester; and then a taxi from the train station to our hotel.

I'm guessing a high end total cost of about 180 gbp ,and an optimistic total time of around 4 hours. Does that time sound about sound right?

As for a car service, our B&B in Leicester has recommended someone ("Oadby Express"), but I haven't contacted them yet for a price. Hoping it won't be more than 200 gbp.

According to mappy.com, we'll be taking the M1 and the drive takes just under 2 hours.

That is, unless the roads are snarled with people stampeding to shopping malls, Ikea, the cottage, and grandma's house (?)

The car service, if reasonably priced, seems to make the most sense, but I am left wondering about the possibility of traffic problems. What do you think is the best way to go?

Mar 17th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Save yourself some money.

Take the tube (Piccadilly Line) directly from Heathrow to King's Cross St. Pancras.

Book tickets now at www.nationalrail.co.uk for London St. Pancras to Leicester. Advance tickets can be as little as 11 GBP.
Mar 17th, 2007, 03:28 PM

I agree with the above poster, just be careful to allow yourselves enough time to get to st. pancras as you are booked on a particular train. The train at 9.25am from st pancras to leicester is 11pounds second class at the moment and 16 pounds first class. Other times are available, this is just an example. You get a seat reservation, and as this is easter saturday, this is a good idea. Personally, I would go for 1st class as it will be much less crowded. The tube from Heathrow (terminals 1,2,3) goes to st pancras, it is the Piccadilly Line.
Traffic, by the way, will be heavy on the roads on Easter Saturday.

Carolena
Mar 17th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much; I really don't know what I would do without this forum.

If we took the train, what you think is a reasonable amount of time to allow ourselves to get to St Pancras?

Also, would that tube ride be very crowded that Saturday morning?
Mar 18th, 2007, 12:14 PM

According to the Journey Planner at www.tfl.gov.uk, the tube ride from Heathrow to St. Pancras takes 55 min.

I agree with Carolina that unless you buy a ticket that is good all day on any train to Leicester, you need to allow plenty of time between your arrival at Heathrow and your departure from St. Pancras. There are lots of international flights that arrive early in the morning so it may take an hour and a half to get through immigration and claim your luggage.
Mar 18th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Why not just get the National Express direct from Heathrow to Leicester?

Only takes an hour longer than the tube bit of your proposed train marathon
Mar 18th, 2007, 12:52 PM

That wasn't as clear as it should have been.

National Express bus. Every couple of hours: a bit over two hours' journey time
Mar 18th, 2007, 01:28 PM

I would avoid the National Express coaches because on Easter Saturday, the traffic is likely to be extremely busy. The train is more comfortable and usually quicker. Personally, I like to be able to get up, walk around etc., especially after a long flight.

Regarding how much time to allow to get to St. Pancras, I agree that you should allow about 1 and a half hours to get through immigration and collect your luggage. I think I would be looking for a train from St. Pancras about 10am. You can prebook your train ticket on thetrainline website and just pick it up at a fast pick-up machine. This saves you standing in the sometimes very long queues to buy tickets. If you can arrange for tickets to be delivered to your home address before you leave for the UK, even better. I'm not sure if you can have tickets sent abroad but the website will tell you this.
A 10am train would allow you an ahour and a half to get out of the airport, and 2 hours to get to St. Pancras. This allows for any delays, changes of plan etc.

Carolena
Mar 18th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Just checked thetrainline site. There is a train at 9.55am and another at 10.25am. Both have tickets available at 11 pounds 2nd class and a few pounds more for 1st class. There are plenty of places to get something to eat etc. at St. Pancras if you are lucky and get there earlier than expected.
If you decide on the National Express coach, make sure you book tickets in advance,

Carolena
Mar 18th, 2007, 01:38 PM

|I do this journey at least 3 times a month and use a very reliable local leicester man with a big mercedes car.He is extreemly reliable and costs £125 - £135 for the trip. He does contract work for the Leicester University, This cost divided by 3 IMO is excellent value and totally haasle free after a long redeye flight. \Should yo be interested let me know and provide me with your email address and i will send you the contact details.
Mar 18th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Well, I went over all this with my parents today, and they prefer we get picked up by a driver at the airport, for the sake of not having to think or otherwise function like cognisant beings.

With a bit of luck, our plane will land on schedule and we'll get through immigration quickly, and on the road before the serious traffic piles up. If not, I suppose we can pop some more of the tranquilizers my mom is sure to get for the flight, so we can doze through the gridlock.

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to help out.

blightyboy: I would be interested in your Leicester man's contact information, thanks. Do you mind me asking where you first learned of him?

here's an address my dad and I are sharing for trip planning purposes:

zinderneufca at hotmail dot com

Thanks

Mar 20th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Great - sent email and the jouney time is approx 2 hours at that time in the morning so warn your hotel that you will want the room from early in the day.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Got it, thanks!

I think we already have a fax out to him, in fact

My parents and I are actually going to Leicester because my sister is there for grad school. We're going to stay over the easter weekend, then the four of us are heading out to Germany and Italy.

Thanks again for the recommendation, I'll let you know how it all goes.
Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:39 AM

Yes Jim rang me to say he had heard from you. Dont know where you are flying from to Europe from but he may do a deal for this.
Apr 9th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

I'm in Leiester now, and thought I'd report back for anyone looking for info on getting to Leicester.

We ended up booking with Oadby Express (my dad arranged it all, so I'm not sure why he went with Oadby, but thanks again blightyboy for recommending Jim)

Oadby Express charged 78 gbp for pick up at Heathrow and drop off in Leicester, about a 1.5 hour drive. It was very smooth with no hassles, and traffic was very light because it was so early in the morning (left Heathrow about 7:30am, arrived at our hotel in Leicester at 9am)

We're very glad we went with a taxi/transfer service. Much cheaper and quicker than the train.