Heathrow to Windsor via bus

Old Feb 27th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heathrow to Windsor via bus

We have a 7 hour layover at Heathrow. On the off chance that we breeze through customs and have a good chunk of that time to do something, I thought about heading over to Windsor. I've seen people say that it costs anywhere from 20-45L to get a taxi which is too much for me so I looked for a bus schedule and it looks like there is one that runs every 1/2 hour or so and takes about 30 minutes. Has anyone used the bus to get to Windsor from Heathrow? I don't see anywhere on the website what the approximate cost is? Do they more or less run on time? Do they drop you close enough to walk to the castle?

Thanks!
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 07:28 AM

Go to the London Underground homepage at http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/ and click on the link to the Journey Planner. I actually did this to see whether I could go straight from Heathrow to Windsor Castle. You take either the Tube or a bus and then switch to a train that drops you off within walking distance (17-minute walk) of the castle. Bus fare is just £1.00 each way, but train fares are not shown on this website. Researching advance-purchase fares on-line for trains (www.swtrains.co.uk) from Heathrow Terminal 3 tube station to Windsor and Eton Central, I found the cheap day-return fares to be £16.30 for one adult.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Sorry. Sandykins is misleading.

The tfl website does NOT include all transport services in the London area. It omits many services that do not operate under a TFL brand. This includes a number of important links from the airports, including the A2 from Heathrow into town and most of the buses from Stansted. It omits VERY MANY links from the airports to places other than central London, especially to the virtual city that surrounds Heathrow.

Kristi's question refers to the local direct bus service from Heathrow to Windsor, available at http://www.rbwm.gov.uk/around/transp...route_link.htm

This bus is timetabled at 30-40 minutes. I've not taken it, but its route is not terribly prone to congestion by London standards. Obviously, you can't predict a traffic accident, but it should be pretty reliable. Just get the bus before the one you need.

Kristi: Go to www.multimap.com and input the postcode of Barclays' Windsor branch (SL4 1PG) You'll see the bus stop is practically at the castle gate.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 08:30 AM

I apologize if any of you thought my answer was misleading. I was only stating that I had done a search on the Tube homepage and describing what I had found there. I never said that I had researched all possible buses from Heathrow to Windsor. I certainly had no intention of misleading anyone, and my answer was limited only to suggesting some sources of information that I had looked at.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 08:36 AM

sandykins: I think the point is that the tube does not go anywhere near Windsor so tube info is not terribly helpful for this question.

Old Feb 27th, 2004, 08:57 AM

I wasn't criticising Sandykins (or at least not intending to).

I WAS criticising the TFL website.

The site calls itself the Transport For London site - not just a Tube site. Yet nowhere on the site does it make it clear that it covers only those routes directly controlled by TFL and whatever we're calling the national rail authority this week.

As the TFL and the privately-operated trains covered by the site account for about 98-99% of all London's public transport, visitors can easily conclude that the TFL website is the definitive guide to travel within the London region. And by most people's standards, Windsor and the three main airports are in the London region. As is the amoebic hi-tech/world headquarter office belt surrounding Heathrow.

They're not, to the official mind. If you want to get from London's airports to somewhere other than central London, or even between Heathrow and the centre at night or with bulky luggage, don't use the tfl site. Use www.baa.com, choose your airport, then select "getting here". There's then a guide to the amazing range of direct local links.

Or for Luton and City, which aren't in the BAA group, do the same thing on the airport's own site.

It's all the downside of privatisation. When the whole system was State owned, it was all a lot more logical. And truly, truly, awful.
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 09:04 AM

Kristi I'll let the others do the technical parts. But, we did take the bus from Windsor to Heathrow and found it to be very satisfactory. We stayed at a lovely hotel across from the Castle and the bus stop was right out front. We walked to Eton and, of course, the castle. Sounds like a good plan to me. Have fun! CJ
Old Feb 27th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

I looked at the website mentioned by flanneruk and it was very helpful, thanks also for the link to the map with Barclay's, very helpful

Am I missing the fee schedule? I can't seem to find anything that talks about cost. We picked up a bus from Heathrow once before when the tube was on strike, do they all go from the same place (Central bus station I believe)?

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 08:44 AM

Topping, for replies on airoute bus fares? Anyone?
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 09:03 AM

I can't find a fare either. But it's an ordinary local bus on a pretty short journey. So fares are unlikely to be more than about £2 each way (and we don't do that 'exact money only' thing some places do)

There's supposed to be a fare calculator on the local operator's website (http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/sout...rethames/home/), but it's not working now, and it's not clear when it's likely to.

Yes, it goes from the LHR central bus station, right above the T1-3 Heathrow Express station. If T4 figures in your plans, you'll need to use the (free)train as well to get to or from it.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

I saw an estimate of L3.5 per person in a post from last summer. I emailed the website I found the route on, still waiting to hear back from them. I'll let you know if I find anything else.
Old Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

First Group did respond to my inquiry, they said to take a 50b bus from Heathrow, the cost is L3.20 or L5.40 return.
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 10:15 AM

CarolJean, What's the name of the hotel in Windsor where you stayed? Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2004, 02:26 PM

bvadc, strangely enough it is the Castle Hotel. I think it is (or was) part of Trusthouse Forte chain. It was the perfect place to be located the night before a flight. They were very nice, a lovely room and very good breakfast. Enjoy, CJ