Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Getting Married: Town Hall in Luzern or Berner Oberland? PLEASE HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - I am getting married later this year. Wanted to ask anyone for help in selecting the best Town Hall (Rathaus)in either Luzerne or the Berner Oberland area for a civil ceremony. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also, is this picture the active Town Hall in Luzern or is a new 'modern' office housed somewhere else?

http://www.luzern.org/town-hall-001-020109-en.htm

Thanks very much - Cheers!!
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Rathaus pictured on the website for Luzern is the historical town hall, and there is a much larger, modern administrative building located elsewhere. The Rathaus would be a very nice location for a civil ceremony. As you can see, it is located directly on the river and is very Swiss in architecture.

But I presume your question is whether one can get married in the Rathaus (i.e., rent the Rathaus for a private function). You really need to inquire through the city... unless someone on this forum has done this.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Switzerland has reduced the amount of governmental buildings that can perform a marriage ceremony. Of course, Lucerne can definately do this but many small towns in Berner Oberland might not. I know that in my home town, we no longer can have civil marriage ceremonies. You have to go to a larger neighboring town. It's kind of sad. The idea behind this is to cut costs.

Back to Lucerne: lots of visitors get married in Lucerne. In fact many go to Meggenhorn to get married. Here's a website that shows you how to do it.

Good luck!

http://www.elance.ch/NEWversion.eng/...ucerne.eng.htm
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We want to have a simple civil ceremony with only the bride and groom (2 people). We would like to be married in the Rathaus am Kornmarkt. Some people told me civil ceremonies are being performed at the Rathaus am Kornmarkt (Old Town Hall). Others are not sure since there is a new administrative building nearby.

Does anyone know if civil ceremonies are performed in the Old Town Hall pictured here?

http://www.stadtluzern.ch/default.aspx?pageid=539

The Civil Registrar who performs the ceremony has an office at a different location so it is confusing:

http://www.stadtluzern.ch/default.aspx?pageid=223

Thanks for your help!

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello Travelin Texan: You can get married in the Rathaus on Fridays only. There's an extra cost of SFr. 150.-- From Monday to Thursday you can get married on the Obergrundstr. 1 building. Make sure you contact the administration using the above website. Viel Glück!