How to spend 4 nights in Lucerne? Calling all Switzerland experts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going to Lucerne in July and was wondering your thoughts on ways to spend 3 full days and 4 nights. For sure, we will definitely do the Mt. Pilatus excursion with the steep cogwheel train. That sounds so neat. My husband and I are not real big on museums and gambling. Also, going up to Hotel Chateau Guetsch and seeing that castle would be cool. Does anyone know if it is back open?

So, that is what I have so far. What is a must see or do in Lucerne? Thanks Fodorites!
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 03:44 PM

We were there for a week in 2009. We went to Titles and Pilatus and much preferred Pilatus. There is a Picasso museum (it used to be two, but they were consolidated) that was very interesting, much of it reflecting the relationships between patrons (a man and his daughter) and the artist. I didn't enjoy the Luzern art museum, it is an interesting building, but the art is either very modern or very old (paintings from old bridges, I'd rather see them with the bridges, which is free). We enjoyed a hike around the outside of the old city walls. One afternoon we walked to the Lion Monument, then ate at the Old Swiss House, almost next door, and that was a pleasant time. We took a steamer to Rutli meadow, where Switzerland was founded, and that was quite pleasant; there were no tourists, other than some Swiss schoolkids, and any paddlewheel steamer ride is enjoyable. We took one ride that said it was a gourmet excursion, and the food was quite good, and the ride pleasant. We didn't get to Rigi Kulm, which is said to have an excellent view from the top, so I guess we will have to return. I almost forgot the Chapel Bridge, the most photographed spot in town, probably because our hotel overlooked it and we used it daily.

We didn't get to that restaurant, but I'm sure they have a web site and you could contact them to see if they are open.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 03:52 PM

I think some must see/dos in Lucerne is to wander around the old town, look in the shops,see the paintings on the sides of the buildings (can't remember what this is called right now), find an outdoor restaurant along the river and sip a cold beverage watching people and swans go by, take a boat to one of the other towns on the lake (Brunnen is a beautiful destination), walk along the lake promendade and enjoy the scenery. Mt. Pilatus is a great excursion. There is also Mt. Rigi and Mt. Titlus - I've been to Rigi and thought it was beautiful. It is green as opposed to Pilatus which is more rugged. There is information at the tourist office on getting tickets, etc. There are lots of walking trails in the area.

Here are a couple of URLs I have found helpful for planning:
http://www.luzern.org/en/welcome.cfm
www.myswitzerland.com

Switzerland is so beautiful, have fun!
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

Rutli Meadow sounds interesting. Our hotel overlooks the Chapel Bridge too (Hotel Des Alpes)
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 05:32 PM

Go to Bucherer and buy yourself a Rolex.
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 07:05 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We're not big on museums either, but my spouse and I thoroughly enjoyed the Swiss Transportation Museum in Lucerne.

http://www.verkehrshaus.ch/index.cfm?dom=4
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

I am looking forward to the swans.