Search

lucerne

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lucerne

We will be in Lucerne for 2 nights and 2 1/2 days at the end of November. Any recommendations on what is a must see / do while over there ? Also, on a place to stay ?
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:18 AM
SLHogan

Hi txchick:

It's been a while since I've been to Lucerne and these may not be the "things" to do while there, but here are some of my favorite things.
Go and see the Lion Monument. It's an amazing piece of work since it's carved in the mountain. Very moving.

Go to the top of Mt. Pilatus. The cog wheel tram ride is very cool. The views from up top are simply spectacular. There used to be a restaurant up there, but not sure if it's still in operation.

There is a Picasso museum-it's photos of Picasso and his family (instead of the artist's paintings). I didn't think I would like it at first, but it was well worth the visit.

Hope that helps. Have fun!

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Ally75

A cruise on the Viervaldstettersee is a fun thing. There used to be a "dancing cruise", went in the evening and there was a dance band.

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:24 AM

We love Lucerne. Last trip, we stayed at the Des Balances Hotel right on the River Reuss in the Old Town. Highly recommend this hotel and their restaurant (see link below).

Things to do:
1) Walk around the Old Town
2) Visit the Lion Monument
3) Climb up on the Musegg, the old city wall and towers) for a fabulous view of the city
4) Take the boat/train/funicular to Mt. Pilatus

Here are a few websites that might help you out.

http://www.pilatus.ch/
http://www.welcome-to.com/Switzerland/Lucerne/
http://www.stadtluzern.ch/index_e.htm
http://www.balances.ch/en/
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 08:50 AM

Day trip to Interlaken/Grindelwald vis the Golden Pass, a special train that goes up and over the Brunig Pass, taking about 1.5 hours Luzern-Interlaken. This is one of the most scenic train rides in Switzerland! Pay for first class so you can sit in the special dome observation cars. From Interlaken hop the 25-min mountain train to Grindelwald, one of Switzerland's most famous Alpine wonderlands, plopped at the baseof the dramatic glacier-girdled Jungfrau Massif. Otherwise good luck finding interesting things to do in Luzern for 2.5 days. A lovely city in a smashingly gorgeous local on Lake Luzern but quite boring in may experience. Ordinarily the lake-boat cruises are great but not sure be running except skeleton schedule at that time and weather should be dismal. A short boat ride goes to Vitznau from where you can take a rack railway to Mt Rigi, the so-called finest observation summit in Swiss because of its vista over the Alpine backbone of central Switzerland. Rigi can be reached by rail from Interlaken if the boats are not running. If intrigued by trains, the Swiss Transport Museum in Luzern is top notch.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 09:37 AM

Hi txchick,

I also recommend a great ferry ride around Lake Luzern. If you care to, you can stretch the journey to cover most of the day by stopping in the villages of Weggis, Vitznau, or Brunnen to explore. You can also stop at the Ruetli Meadow, the foundation of the Swiss federation in 1291 (?). If you don't want to wait for a return ferry, just take a bus or train back to Luzern. Ferry schedules are somewhere in www.lakeluzern.ch, and you can get train and bus schedules at www.rail.ch. Check out the villages at www.weggis.ch and www.vitznau.ch.

I've been to Lake Luzern twice and haven't run out of things to do: bike around the lake, hike around the lake, shop the old city, excursions to Pilatus, Rigi, & Titlis, excursions to Ruetli & Fuessen, etc.

Have a great visit! Let me know if I can help further!

s
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 09:52 AM
Ally75

oh, swandav, great recommendations! I took that tour years ago and couldn't remember the names of the villages. Ruetil meadow and the village near it are so beautiful! As I recall, Brunnen has some fine restaurants on the lakefront.

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 09:59 AM

This is the excerpt from our fall trip report (Sept 2003) for the Lucerne portion. We enjoyed the city and found 2 days or so to be fine. We took an afternoon cruise to Weggis - you can shop for the winter schedules on this website: http://www.lakelucerne.ch/ - click on the English link, check timetables, offers, etc. The tours up the mountaintops (Rigi, Pilatus, etc) can be fun but the 2 times we've tried in the past, the view was 100% obscured by clouds/mist/snow etc. Don't spend time doing it unless it is a beautiful crisp blue-sky day.
We stayed at Hotel Goldener Stern, which was plain, clean and fine for us, and a reasonable price of 135Sfr for a twin room including breakfast. The church bells were a bit much for hubby but if the windows are closed it will be better. It is difficult to find an acceptable hotel for around $100, but maybe in November it is easier.
LUCERNE - We arrived in Lucerne in the late afternoon of Sunday September 28, and checked into Hotel Goldener Stern, about 2 blocks behind the Jesuit church. Our room was two twins (135 Sfr) overlooking the garden of the Franciscan church, and while very plain, was clean and comfortable. We learned after two nights that you should really like church bells if you stay here! They ring 1, 2 and 3 times for the quarter-hour, 4 times + the hours at the top of the hour, 24/7. Now, while I heard them I do not think they greatly disturbed my sleep, while RK is more restless and woke up several times. I believe I left the windows slightly ajar for coolness, but if you can close them completely it should muffle the bells somewhat. Other than this charming? annoying? foible, we like the Goldener Stern, and found it to be well-located, just a short stroll to the riverbank and then cross any of 4 bridges to reach the market squares, painted buildings, and cafés on the tourist side.

It was drizzling this evening, so we donned our lovely blue plastic ponchos and marched on across the Spreuerbrucke (over fast-running currents passing through the turbines), a bit through the old town area, and then on to Mr Pickwicks bar for wine-thirty. The top of Mt Pilatus was hidden from view by the clouds; you would never suspect a mountain was even there. We enjoyed a good meal at the Brasserie Bodu: coq au vin and mussels, soda and water, under 50 Sfr.
The next morning (Monday the 29th) the skies cleared a good bit, and we started out by walking part-way along the Museggwalls, climbing the first open tower for a wonderful overlook of Lucerne, the lake and mountain ranges. There is a small pasture along one side with very furry long-haired red cattle and a pretty park on the other side. Following this activity, my task was to find and photograph as many painted buildings as I could, revisit the Kappelbrucke and the Lowendenkmal (Lion Monument). This last sight seems to be in need of a sprucing up in the landscaping area. Finally, we wanted to see the inside of the Jesuit church, which is very beautiful, done in white and gold, possibly a Baroque style.

Our final activity for Lucerne was an afternoon lake cruise to Weggis (23 Sfr pp). It was a beautiful afternoon, although still somewhat hazy in the distance, but yesterday it was raining so no complaints. The ride was very relaxing and we meandered around Weggis for about an hour while waiting on another boat to pick us up. We noticed the chairlift going up the mountain, and I quickly disclaimed any intention of doing that again! We saw a small monument with an image of Mark Twain and his comment that Weggis was {The charmingest place we have ever lived in for repose and restfulness.}
Nearby was a colorful cow statue on a floating dock. Above us were towering trees and green meadows with rustic brown barns and the sounds of cow-bells floating down. As we returned to Lucerne, the sun glinted like diamonds on the water, which was the most beautiful turqoise color and very clear.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 11:52 AM

Just a short note to add: The funicular (or cog railway) up to Mt. Pilatus is not in operation in winter, so the round trip with boat/funicular and back by gondola is not doable.

You can go up to Mt. Pilatus by gondola from Kriens (a suburb of Lucerne) though.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 12:14 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
We stayed at Hotel Schiller - one block from the kappulbruck (sp?) and 1 1/2 blocks from the train station. The hotel is a 4 star but I don't know current prices. They had a TexMex restaurant that had an infusion of locals everynight. Very lively so you might want to request a courtyard room or one away from the bar.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 03:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In the same general area as the Lion Monument:

1) The Glacier Garden (immediately adjacent to the Lion) is a small area that has been excavated to reveal the effects of a glacier that covered Luzern 20,000 years ago. There are potholes caused by boulders grinding under the moving glacier, evidence of the subtropical vegetation that grew in the area 20 million years ago and other interesting geologic artifacts. This area was discovered in 1872 by the landowner who was trying to dig for a wine cellar. His family home stands nearby and now houses a very interesting museum on glaciers and geology. Also on the property, rather incongruously, is a house of mirrors created for the 1896 national fair in Geneva. We thought it would be hokey, but it was actually a fun labyrinth, especially as we watched some small wide-eyed children make their way.

2) The Bourbaki Panorama, a circular painting originally on view in Geneva from 1881 which was moved to Luzern in about 1889 depicts the retreat of French forces (the Bourbaki Army) into Switzerland in 1871 during the Franco-Prussian War. There is an excellent audio narrative that is broadcast in three successive languages (German, French, English). Be sure to ask that they start the English version. On a floor below the painting is a museum about the war, the retreat and aftermath and a history of panorama depictions (for which the Swiss seem to have a particular affection).

3) The Transportation Museum is just plain fun (and interesting!). In good weather and at additional cost, you can also ride a hot-air balloon straight up a static cable a few hundred feet for a fantastic aerial view of Luzern.

If anyone suggests a tour of the alp horn workshop in Kriens, forget it. They stopped doing public tours in June 2003.

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 03:26 PM

I second the motion on the Transportation Museum. I have seen it twice and enjoyed it both times.
The most interesting aspect of it for me was the display on all the various cable lifts used in the Alps.
Also the railroad cars and engines were fascinating. And there are old airplanes and cars as well.
I found the models of river boats to be fascinating as well. There is one motion display of model boats going through a lock. The little boat goes into the lock. The water is let out and the boat drops down to the next level.
Good for youngsters somewhere between 5 and infinity. I was 69 at the time and had a good time watching it operate.

Old Nov 5th, 2003, 05:30 PM

Please don't regard doing the gondola from Kriens up to Pilatus as a negative. Sailing through the ice encrusted trees in December was one of the most beautiful trips of my life.
Old Nov 5th, 2003, 06:36 PM

If you want a truly elegant hotel, you might try the Grand National. I've stayed there several times. It's a lovely old hotel right on the lake. The views from the lakeside rooms are simply marvelous. Very expensive though... They were undergoing some remodeling when I was there this past spring break, but the construction didn't really bother us.
We always enjoy the lion monument and walking around the old town shopping area. There are some nice shops and restaurants. Lucern is one of my favorite destinations in Europe.