Getting from Prague to Krakow

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to Eastern Europe in early July. I think we are going to take the Uniworld River Danube Cruise that begins in Budapest, and goes to Vienna, Melk, Passau, Regensburg, Nuremberg, and ends up in Prague. It's seven days, but I thought we would add on several days at the beginning in Budapest, and at the end in Prague to explore those cities on our own. We also have read here that Krakow is well worth visiting--but since we will end up in Prague, my question is, how would be the best way to get to Krakow. We wouldn't mind renting a car, but is it worth driving there and back, in order to drop the car off back in Prague? Or is it just easier to take a train, and fly back to the States from Krakow? Any thoughts would be welcome. We are pretty experienced travellers, and like to meet the local people, but don't speak German. Also, I know that there are issues about dropping the car off in a different country....
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ttt
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 08:20 PM

I have a similar trip planned for late Spring, and while I haven't actually travelled this route, research would lead me to believe your best bet would be night trains between cities (using sleeper car). That would save you hotel costs, allow you to maximize the use of your daytime hours, plus avoid the expense and hassle of crossing borders in a rental car. There are hefty charges for dropping off cars in different locations from where you rented them, and some rental companies don't allow it. Here's a link to a website with train times : http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/query.exe/en

I dont know where you live, but flying in or out of Krakow was significantly more expensive in my case than either Prague or Budapest. Warsaw was a bit cheaper, and it's only 3-4 hours by train from Krakow. But it is possible to get open jaw tickets if you're willing to pay more money. Or you could take the night train back to Prague and save on the airfare. I guess it depends on what kind of deal you get.

Another option I looked at to keep flight cost down was buying a round trip ticket to London, flying into prague, then flying back to London from Krakow. Airlines like Ryanair, wizzair, and easyjet fly in and out of London for ridiculously low fares. I eliminated that option because some of those carriers appeared to fly into outlying airports, which would have meant more travel time to Heathrow to catch my flight back to the states. Too much hassle for me.

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Original Poster

I have actually read elsewhere on this board, bad stories about the noise on overnight trains. I would rather find a charming town somewhere inbetween Prague and Krakow maybe to spend the night in--can somebody recommend one--I don't mind spending the money on a hotel. I'd rather be comfortable. We're not 25 anymore, and want to enjoy the trip....
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 06:17 AM

There are many towns within 2-4 hours bus or train from Prague. Cesky Krumlov, Olomouc, Karlovy Vary. Dresden, Germany. Guidebooks would give you a better idea.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We hope to do a Central/Eastern Europe trip in May, so I'm topping this for more info.
While one could apparently drive from Ostrava to Krakow in 2-1/2 hours, Prague to Krakow on a train is about a 7 hour trip, Ostrava to Krakow, however, is about 3-1/2 hours, so I'm beginning to think of leaving rental car in Ostrava for 2 days and training to Krakow, even though that would cost $280 RT for a couple.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 10:20 AM

I took the train from Prague to Krakow and stayed overnight in Olomouc. I liked it a lot.

I discussed this some on previous threads which I think would be easy to find just by typing "olomouc" into the search box.
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 11:08 AM

I agree with cyrusmag that you should think of a sleeper. I do not find them noisy. Anywhere in Europe, if people are noisy on a sleeper you ask the conductor to ask them to be quiet. In the last resort he can call the train guard and station police and put them off. Seats cars have no conductors, so people can make all the noise they choose, though in fact they want to sleep, like the rest of us. In fact, I have in the past just asked sleeper conductors to secure silence from chatterers, and this they did. There are a detailed and able survey of rail travel, country by country at http://www.seat61.com/, and a note on getting the best from sleepers and couchettes at http://www.geocities.com/rexbickers/...ghttrains.htm/.

Like others, between Krakow and Prague I like Ostrava. Also, the line between Krakow and Ostrava lies through Oswiecim, Ausschwitz, so you can design your last day as about 0800 from Krakow by minibus to Oswiecim station, drop bags at left luggage, walk in 15 minutes or bus in 5 to the camp gate, tour, collect bags, leave Oswiecim at 1633, buffet car on board, Ostrava 1814. Or design your first day in Poland as Ostrava 1010, buffet car train, Oswiecim 1152, leave bags in left luggage office, tour camp, leave by minibus about 1800, arrive Krakow about 1930.

Another fine city between Krakow and Prague is Olomouc, rich in city squares and fountains.

Still another plan is indeed to book a sleeper for the two of you, at about 140 euros a person. To enjoy that, you want the latest possible arrival time. The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cook European Rail Timetable, and this shows trains thus
Prague Hlavni 2120 to Krakow Glavna 0533
Krakow Glavna 2250 to Prague Hlavni 0725
Budapest Keleti 1910 to Krakow Glavna 0536
Krakow Glavna 2230 to Budapest Keleti 0922.
So it is clear that a night journey should be from Krakow, not to Krakow at 0533 or 0536. You can start your holiday by flying to Krakow by Easyjet from Stansted or Dortmund, and by Air Polonia from Luton. After you enjoy Krakow and Ausschwitz you can take day trains to Ostrava or Olomouc, then Prague, or a sleeper from Krakow at 2250 to Prague at 0725. In Prague you can join the party to Regensburg, where you take your boat down the Danube to Budapest.

Both the big stations in Krakow and Prague have pickpockets in gangs of three, who crowd you. The best idea is in your hotel to put just your rail tickets and a little money in a front pocket, and all other valuables, including passport, wrapped in an old shirt deep in a big piece of baggage, to come out, with your pyjamas, toilet gear, and other night things only when you are safely locked in your sleeper. Again, ten minutes before I arrive at my station I lock my door and put just a little cash and one credit card where they are handy. I bring out passport and other things only in the hotel reception area.

Krakow Glowna has lifts, so I ask hotel staff to phone to learn my platform departure number, and just taxi from my hotel to the taxi stand on the station roof, where I take a luggage trolley and the lift down to my train, with a pleasant smile to the nearest thieves.

[email protected]

Old Mar 20th, 2005, 08:41 PM
rex

Bringing your message back up "to the top"...

... see also http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34583982

Best wishes,

Rex