Getting from Edingurg Scotland to London

Sep 25th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Getting from Edingurg Scotland to London

What is the best(cheapest and fastest) way to get from Edinburg to London. My boyfriend and I are spending one day (Oct 5) in Edinburg and then want to be in London as early as possible on Sat(Oct 6). Are there any overnight sleeper trains from Edinburg? times they run and prices would be helpful. Any other options?
Sep 25th, 2007, 10:52 AM

the Caldonian sleeper leaves from Edinburgh at around 11 pm, and arrives in London (Euston, I believe) at 7 am. It's not fast.....and it's not cheap. A regular train is much cheaper, especially if you can get the cheap single fares (book well in advance for these), and it's actually faster...just under 5 hours.
Sep 25th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Sleeper trains
Online advance bookings for overnight seated and berth accommodation on Caledonian Sleeper services are now available online for services up to and ...
http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/c...eper/index.php

About The Sleeper
All Caledonian Sleeper services convey a Lounge Car where you can relax in a pleasant atmosphere. Enjoy a light snack, hot or cold drink or unwind with ...
http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/c...he-sleeper.php
[ More results from www.firstgroup.com ]

Caledonian Sleeper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaThe Caledonian Sleeper is a sleeper train service operated by First ScotRail and one of only two remaining sleeper services running on the railways of Great ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caledonian_Sleeper
Sep 25th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

I am confused about booking the sleeper trains and rates? Is it the same booking it now or when I get there? Do I have to purchase a train ticket and then a "berth" additionally? what is a "berth?" what would the total cost be? it is ok if it takes longer bc we will be sleeping, but if we travel Sat am, we definatly want the faster train. do you recommend a overnight train, just not a sleeper one? HELP
Sep 25th, 2007, 11:56 AM
twk

The Man in Seat 61 has most of the answers you are looking for regarding the sleeper:

http://tinyurl.com/kjw8e
Sep 25th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Overnight train and sleeper train are one and the same

Sleepers have private compartments but there are also regular cars with regular seats you can sleep in without paying the sleeping supplement

I think there may not be any Caledonian Sleeper trains on Saturday night but not sure.

If you buy a ticket at the station you will probably pay hundreds of bucks more than if you advance book a cheaper online fare (sold in allotments so book early)

You can then get an all-inclusive fare including berth (a bed) for a pittance sometimes.
Sep 25th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

So I should just book it now? What site? Confused on how to know if it is a regular seat or sleeper ticket?
Sep 25th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Didn't you read what was printed by twk? For goodness sake, take a bit of action.
Sep 25th, 2007, 12:29 PM

Easyjet have plenty of flights right now to London (luton gatwick & stansted) on 5-10 prices £40 -56
Sep 25th, 2007, 01:51 PM

<<< It's not fast.....and it's not cheap >>>

A bargain berth costs from £19 - plus you save a night's accommodation bill AND you get into London a few hours before any day train or plane could. Day train BTW starts at about £15 so you are "saving" £4

See the earlier link from PalenQ