25th Anniv. Dinner 1st night in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I will celebrate our 25th anniv tommorow Sept 25th. I'd like to surprise him with card telling him where we are going to dinner on our 1st night in Rome. We've opted to not go out anywhere special tommorow and save ourselves till our Rome holiday Oct 5 - 14. Where would you send us for something wonderful that first night October 6th? It matters not whether we go to the fanciest restaurant, in fact we'd prefer something less $ than that, just good food and nice ambiance. Okay I'll just admit it, I want to go somewhere yummy but not stuffy.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 11:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"Wonderful," "special," "fancy," "good"are all rather subjective. And this post is a bit late, isn't it? Oh well. We've had what I would describe as very good meals with interesting wines and excellent service at Cafe Mancini. www.cafemancini.com

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Well I can't really tell you ALL my desires in a little box like this can I? Geesh! And no it's not really that late exactly considering we aren't going out to dinner until October 6th, and if the restaurants you want to send me to need more a 1.5 week shout out for a reservation well then I guess I really don't want to go there anyway. But thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 12:28 PM

Hi molly, I don't think you should have any problem booking less than a week (or even just a few days) in advance.

DH and I really enjoyed a special Christmas Eve dinner at San Gallo last year: http://www.ristorantesangallo.com

And my mom and I had a lovely "last night in Rome" dinner at Il Bacaro in June: http://ilbacaro.com

Both are in the historic center, easy walking distance from Pantheon / Piazza Navona area.

Old Sep 24th, 2007, 12:34 PM

If it was me I would definitely go to a restaurant in the Piazza Navona. We have always enjoyed that. Can't help you with a specific name but I am sure if you do a search here for "Piazza Navona restaurants" you will find a few. They are all good.

One suggestion though. If you are jet lagged, you may want to have that special dinner later in your trip so as not to spoil it by yawning your way through dinner. Not sure what your arrival time is....just a thought.

That is exactly where we spent our 25th as well. Have fun!
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 12:38 PM

We loved Mario's near the forum and opera. Small place, elegant and great good. The concierge at our hotel was surprised that as tourists we even knew about it. all dishes are fresh using daily ingredients so there may be things on the printed menu that aren't available - the host/owner can select the most delicious choices for you.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 12:45 PM

I had the worst meal in Italy at a restaurant in Piazza Navona - be careful if you choose here - sorry, I wish I had written the name of the restaurant down - I'm sure there are some excellent places as well.

I vote for L'Eau Vive - Via Monterone 85. My husband and I had our 10 year anniv. dinner there - what fun! However, be advised that every night, the waitstaff, generally religious women, break into singing the Ave Maria, and it's my understanding that tips and profits are handed over to their religious Order.
It was not particularly fancy, but my husband wore a jacket and I wore a skirt. We had good food and great wine!
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 12:51 PM

"It matters not whether we go to the fanciest restaurant, in fact we'd prefer something less $ than that, just good food and nice ambiance. Okay I'll just admit it, I want to go somewhere yummy but not stuffy."

Hi Molly,
Two of my favorite restaurants that fit this bill would be:

Osteria del Pegno- Piazza Navona area
Vicolo di Montevecchio, 8

Osteria Le Streghe
Vicolo del Curato, 13

Have a wonderful stay in Rome,
Johanna
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Molly: I have a suggestion for you: Pier luigi near Campo Fiori. our family group had dinner there last "Christmas"...really about 10 days prior to December 25. I thought the food was excellent. We were too sated for desert and our waiter brought lemoncello and sweets. great service. Good ambience. Hope this helps.
Bill
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 01:42 PM

A very Roman place to consider:
http://www.ristorantepiperno.com/pip...restaurant.htm

Some friends of mine love Al Bric:
http://www.albric.it/index.shtml

Al Bric is closer to the Piazza Navona. I think it would be wonderful, but that is on my friends' rec. They love it.

I usually eat in less atmospheric places, so don't have a rec that would suit such a special night. Maybe Myosotis? I had a very good deal meal there and it does have atmosphere as well as good food:
http://www.10best.com/Rome,Italy/Res...256/index.html

Myosotis is also near the Piazza Navona.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 01:45 PM

Osteria del Pegno, mentioned above is one of my favorites. Let the owner (who takes all the orders know it is your anniversary). Lots of candlelight and fresh flowers and the food is outstanding.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 01:53 PM

One of the most romantic meal my husband and I ever shared in Rome was at Vecchio Roma located in the old Roman Jewish Ghetto. It is in a very old square and sitting outside in the evening was magical! The food was fantastic, especially the mixed antipasti (it sould have been my meal!). Have a wonderful anniversary!
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 01:59 PM

I wouldn't necessarily have dinner on the Piazza Navona, even though it's my favorite place. I second the suggestion for Il Bacaro. Or Osteria del Pegno is also good, as mentioned.

After dinner, I would then go to the Piazza Navona and enjoy an after-dinner drink (I recommend Limoncello )and dessert at one of the cafes and enjoy the scene.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Yes....save dessert and lemoncello for Piazza Navona..."death by choclate" at it's best at Tres Scalini on the north side of Piazza Navona...just ask for the decadent "chocolate tartuffo" and enjoy. Food at the resto is not that good...but the above dessert is powerfully delicious...good people watching and if you will, Scalini's gelato is one of the best.

Another restaurant suggestion also:

Al Ceppo, recommended by Fodors',lived up to the hype for wife and me...outstanding in very way, from ambience to wine. On Via Panama(as I recall, near the Villa Borghese). I would telephone for a reservation 011-39-6-841-9696.

Stu T.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Didn't mean to push your button, Molly, but there is an endless list of restaurants one could recommend in Rome. I was just implying that a bit more info would be helpful. Roman specialties? Veal or oxtail? Fish? Gnocchi? Risotto? Pasta? Or is the ambiance the thing? Or the wine?

Ten days for a reservation at a truly special restaurant in Rome in high season is really not that much time. But at least you've identified those places as not what you're interested in.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Oh please no worries, I'm just so pleased with all these responses, feel free to jump in anyone!
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 01:11 PM

I will never forget walking past Vecchia Roma one evening and thinking "THAT is a very romantic looking restaurant." I have never had a meal there, but I have heard that it is good and the location and setting are very special.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 01:19 PM

another vote AGAINST Navona