Germany's Finest!

Search

Germany's Finest!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany's Finest!

Help me choose where to go in Germany during May. Where are your favorites? Thanks!
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 03:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi latenighter,
Keep in mind we have not been north of Munich...so these are our favorite places to stay...
1) Berchtesgaden area (we stayed in Ramsau)
2) Mittenwald
3) Fussen
www.berchtesgaden.com
www.ramsau.com
www.ramsau.de
www.mittenwald.com
www.stadt-fuessen.de
The reason I left Munich out was because we really prefer smaller towns to bigger more crowded cities.

Paul

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Paul for the excellent ideas! We really appreciate your help!! We leave in May and will be 7 days in Germany with 3 days in St. Goar/Mainz/Koblenz area. We will look into your ideas.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 04:11 PM

With just 4 more days - if you have never been to Germany, I would try to work in Heidelburg, the Romantic Road (Rothenberg, Dinklesbuhl, etc), and maybe Fussen and Neuschwanstein castle - but that might be too much.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Bob KY, some more great ideas. We did stay in Heidelburg two years ago a few days and loved it! At that time we also stayed in Regensburg one night and Munich one night.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 09:29 PM

What are you interested in?
If I had only 4 days left after the Rhine, I'd be tempted to go to Baden-Baden and Stuttgart.
The Romantic Road is wonderful are you flying open jaws?
What city/cities are you flying in and out of?
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

L84SKY, we are taking a train out of Paris and have 4 days open before we check into hotel in Oberwesel/Mainz area. We spent two nights in Baden-Baden a couple of years ago and enjoyed the baths/spas! Your right about Baden-Baden, it's a great place to stay. We have never been to Stuttgart. What did you do in Stuttgart? And thanks for the advice!
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:34 AM

I would recommend you take ED of a new BMW in Munchen, drive it for 2 weeks, drop it off where convenient and sell it upon return to the US which will more than pay for your trip, given the discounts you can negotiate.
Lufthansa has a 2 'fer in coach and a 75% off the partner's business class ticket with same.
M (SMdA, Gto.)
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

L84SKY, I forgot to mention we were flying out of Frankfurt.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 04:12 PM

Stuttgart is a charming little city. We loved the Staatsgalerie - modern art housed in a great James Stirling building.
The Mercedes Benz museum was excellent, they started from the horse and took us through a well thought out showing of Mercedes. The building is built on a double helix design, if you like modern architecture, not to be missed.
It's only fair to tell you that our Oct trip this year was based on seeing modern art and architecture, bathing and drinking beer. We spent our time in the Black Forest/ Schwabish Alb region including Stuttgart and were not disappointed. There is another thread here about Stuttgart that someone with different interests started. You might want to check it out.

If you liked the baths at Baden Baden then the Tanuas Therme in Bad Homburg, is 100% better. It's a 20 minute train out of Frankfurt.

If you haven't been down the Romantic Road that's a wonderful option.
Well, really, any place in Germany is bound to be great! IMO
Have fun.

Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

L84SKY, thanks again for taking the time to send more ideas! latenighter
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 06:40 PM

Not a problem at all latenighter! After all, we are talking about Germany. A place I think of often
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 06:54 PM

Latenighter - we adore Germany. Some of our favourites are THE MOSEL VALLEY, (well situated if you are near Mainz), another vote for BERCHTESGADEN AREA but stay in Bad Reichenhall not in Berchtesgaden, PASSAU, castle of NEUSCHWANSTEIN and also castle of LINDERHOF. The ROMANTIC ROAD (Rothenburg ob der Tauber etc.) is also excellent.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 08:30 PM
DAX

If you are going to Stuttgart then you my want to visit the Hohenzollern castle in HECHINGEN just about an hour drive south of Stuttgart. It's a great castle complex with a fantastic hilltop setting. The last German Kaiser grew up in that castle. The castle itself is very impressive & unique.

I've been to Stuttgart 4 times and enjoyed my visits there. While it may not be the number one touristy spot, it is a very comfortable rich city with lots of things to do. It is a very green city with wonderful food and very reasonable prices.
For things to do, see this Stuttgart thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34901076