Lakenheath-Ground Trans

Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lakenheath-Ground Trans

Any recommendations on ground transportation around the Lakenheath area? Is there adequate public transportation or is a rental car necessary?

Thanks.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 09:10 AM

Lakenheath (Suffolk) is only a tiny village which the occasional bus runs through. I would recommend renting a car if you have any intention of going anywhere.

It has a US airforce base nearby, as does Mildenhall (several miles away). It also has an excellent fish and chip shop which I highly recommend.

It's about half an hour or so drive from Cambridge, King's Lynn, Bury St Edmunds and a number of other large towns as well as many small towns. Mildenhall has a small museum. a 13th century church and a market on Friday.

A train from Mildenhall station at Shippea Hill, eight miles north of town (no public transport from there) runs to Cambridge and London at times.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
hi_kity: You have posted two other threads asking about the Lakenheath area and have received a lot of useful info. We asked you for some more info - so we can help more.

Are you visiting as a tourist? Moving there to be w/ the American forces?

"Is there adequate public transportation or is a rental car necessary?" - What do you plan on doing? Touring the sites? or living on base? or working nearby?

Work w/ us here. Give us some feedback and we can help a lot. Really.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, kaneda.

janisj, please do not respond to further inquires from hikity OR luismark. We don't appreciate the attitude.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, kaneda

Janisj, please do not respond to future inquires from hikity or luismark. We don't like the attitude.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 07:52 PM

whoa! I guess no good deed goes un-punished.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 12:17 AM
mjs

It does serve you right janisj. I try my best not to answer these rather nebulous questions. Thankfully my experience in this area is quite old and so I have no up to date information to offer.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 06:48 AM

Well - she is a newbie so I was trying to help her out. But it seems she isn't interested . . . . . .
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 07:53 AM

I lived 5 minutes walk from Mildenhall station for 5 years. Let me know if I can help on anything else?
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Kaneda.

As far as being a "Newbie" I'm a West Point grad with a law degree from Columbia U. As the daughter of a retired 3-star General, I have lived all over the world. My hubby is a respected Navy surgeon and we have lived and traveled across the globe. While our professional achievements are not necessarily relevant to the comments above, what is relevant is the caustic nature of your responses; not only to my/our questions on Lakenheath and Feltwell, but many other well-meaning travelers who turn to this forum. If you must use this forum to make yourself feel important, you might want to take up a hobby.
Regards. Karina and Mark
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kaneda - don't ask for more information or feedback, they wont appreciate the attitude !

Hi Kity - There is a clue there - try not to annoy those people who were kind enough to try and help you.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 10:37 AM

Whoops - too late

Oh, and you might like to re-read the posts, it was JanisJ who pointed out you were a newbie , not Kaneda who was very helpful towards you. (She is correct - you have very few posts on here - look up the accepted definition of newbie on the internet).

Maybe Kaneda deserves an apology, of don't wives of surgeons and Daughters of 3 star generals need to apologise for their poor manners and errors ?
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 10:44 AM

She DID thank Kaneda, Willit. Twice.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 10:45 AM

Actually she thanked Kaneda 3 times.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 10:51 AM

Ok - My mistake, and apologies - I did go off half cocked on that one and assumed that Kaneda was being accused of a) using the word Newbie and b) using the forum to make themselves feel important.

It is particularly embarrassing when I have accused others of not reading the thread properly.

Thank you Carrybean for pointing out my error, and again my apologies to Karina and Mark.

I will however stick to my position that Janisj was , in all 3 threads, trying to find out more so that she could be helpful, and did not deserve the comment on her attitude.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 10:46 PM

Can someone explain what part of janis' helpful attempt to get some useful detail provoked the poster's preposterously pompous and offensive outburst?

Or what on earth the relevance of the number of stars the poster's father's got is to anything?

Janisj deserves commendation for politeness way beyond the call of anything in the face of quite extraordinary vagueness and self-importance.

If that's the product of a West Point education, God help you all,