Marburg, Germany

Search

Marburg, Germany

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Marburg, Germany

I've found so little on this town in this forum and am wondering "why"? I read that it is one of very few which were not bombed during the war and therefore maintain it's old charm. Would love to hear your thoughts and advise/suggestions. We will be staying at the Vila Vita.
From there we head South to Munich, any interesting "must" stops on the way down?
Thank you for your help.
Old Jan 20th, 2004, 01:05 PM

Are you driving?

Haven't been to Marburg - but if you are driving, I would recommend taking the "Romantic Road" on your way to Munich and visit some of the cities along the way: Wurzberg, Rothenburg, Dinkelsbuehl, Noerdlingen (the last three are preserved medieval towns) and onto Schwangau to visit the castles of Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. You might want to stop and spend the night in Rothenburg along the way and then spend another night in Fussen before Munich.

Take your time and have fun.

Old Jan 20th, 2004, 02:49 PM

bridgetS - you are in for a wonderful treat. Marburg is marvelous - a real gem. Not only has it a well preserved medieval old town, but a spectacular castle overlooking the city. In addition it is the home of a fabled University so there are tons of things to do (night life, restaurants, concerts and exhibitions). Do a google search and you will find lots of info as well as some extremely complimentary comments on the Vila Vita! It is one of my favorite towns in Germany - far more intrigueing and "real" than any of the towns along the Romantic Road.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. Please explain the Romantic trail more, I'm unclear which you are referring to. My SO lived and now goes to Marburg on a regular basis, always stays at the Vila Vita. We are picking up his new vehicle in Munich so we will be taking the rental from Marburg to Munich then on to a place yet unnamed. We have our choice of several drop off points for shipment to the U.S.
If you are wondering why I am posting these q's on this site since he has lived there: We don't always enjoy the same "stuff" so I like to get feedback from others. Also, you would all be amazed at how much he has missed traveling the world because he won't do the research as I will. You know the saying: One doesn't do/see things in their own backyard.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 02:03 PM

Bridget- The Romantic Road is a road running from from Wurzburg to Reutte in the south of Germany that passes through numerous medieval villages and towns that can be called "romantic, picturesque, or even quaint." Check out www.romanticroad.com for some excellent info.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Charlie, I will definitely look at the site you supplied.