Germany - 1 week first time visit

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany - 1 week first time visit

We are planning to visit Germany in June 2006 for 7-9 days. Starting in Munich (renting a car - we are car people for the sake of flexibilty) and then our interests take us to ie: Garmisch, Nuremburg, castles and pubs ..and hopefully Innsbruck Austria. We are seeking any insights you may have for a relaxed (not hurried) sightseeing / discovery type vacation....any thoughts / suggestions on "must sees, & must avoids" ...special spots etc? (4 active people in our late 30's early 40's) THX!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Search Google for "alpenstrasse" and you'll find several sites with spectacular scenery and itinerary suggestions. Here's one for starters:

http://www.deutsche-alpenstrasse.de/

I'm also a car person and I don't think you can make a wrong turn in the area you have outlined, particularly the area east and a little south from Garmisch driving toward Bertchesgaden.

I'll be surprised if several posters -- even though you say you are "car people" -- tell you that you shouldn't rent a car.

Have fun!!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:29 AM

I would opt for a stay at the Bodensee. We enjoyed Meersburg. I tis a lovley town. It has beautiful views of the lake, one of the oldest intact medevil castles is here, great restaurants. We stayed at a wonderful timbered Inn called 3stuben Hotel..Visit their website at www.3stuben.de. The rooms were verynice, bathrooms new..

A must do - while here is visit their version of a beach. Grass beaches with wonderful kiosks for beer and you MUST visit Insel Mainau... It is a short boat ride to this exquisite island that actully grows tropical trees(lemon groves, etc...) It is a type of Botanical garden, but nothing like I have ever seen in my life. Great architecure and history on this Island.. I liked the 10 foot rose bushes!!!
I have names offabuolous places to eat in Meersburg. You can ride bikes here, much of the town does not allow cars.
Anyway, this is just an idea.
Rothenburg is great for a day.
All of the little hamlets in the Bavarian Alps are so fun and worth just getting "lost" in...
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you SOO much for your suggestions .. we will definitely check out your websites and look into Bertchesgaden area, Bodensee, Meersburg and Insel Mainau & Rothenburg. Also...if you can recall those "fabulous eateries" in Meersburg ...we would appreciate your suggestions ...thanks so much again!
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 08:37 AM

CMOL, That is a great place to visit, however, I hope you have your hotel reservation for Munich because the World Cup is going on during that time and there will be lots of sports fans taking up the rooms.

We are car people too and the area from Fussen to Salzburg (about 80 miles) is chock full of stuff to see and experience. As Anne suggested the Bodensee (Lake Constance) area is great for visiting too. Lindau, Meersburg, and Mainau Island are delights.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 11:20 AM

Great suggestion to follow the roads from Fussen (or Bodensee) to Salzburg. Fussen to Salzburg is 108 miles as the crow flies.
Map at http://www.thirdmansystems.com/vacat...toSalzburg.htm
More at http://www.thirdmansystems.com/vacation/maps/
I've traveled most of these roads. More info if you need it, please let me know.

Ken
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 11:53 AM

I'd go to Salzburg over Innsbruck. I found Salzburg much more interesting.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Yes Aisleseat..you are correct (I forgot about World Cup in June) ..so I guess we will either go in May or July instead. (thank you for reminding us)
..also thanks to KEN - your web pics & maps are wonderful.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:37 PM

Meersburg, Lindau and area are great suggestions. The drive from Garmisch to Innsbruck is spectacular. You'll love it. We preferred Innsbruck to Salzburg. I guess it just depends on your tastes.

If you do go to Innsbruck, eat at the Goldener Adler. The food is good; the location is excellent and the price is not bad. The Folk Museum there is very nice also. There is a lot to do in Innsbruck. Stop at the tourist bureau.

Another thing you might enjoy in the Garmisch area is Wieskirche, a beautiful little painted church on a hillside. The drive alone is worth the trip.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:41 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention . . . As you drive from Garmisch to Innsbruck, there is a little town called Mittenwald that is definitely worth a stop. You might have lunch there. We enjoyed lunch at the Alpenrose Gasthof. Lots of atmosphere and the food is excellent.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 09:00 PM

Bamberg is not far from Nuremburg. The entire old town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. My wife and I loved the place and I have seen very few negative reviews of Bamberg on this forum.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 09:21 PM

We loved Meersburg and also the island of Mainau. We stayed at the Gasthof zum Bären. It was charming and inexpensive. We requested a room with an oriel window and loved it. Bamberg is another favorite city. I like Rothenburg well enough, but it's filled with tourists--I mean jammed! However, if you stay there overnight, it's very nice before 9 and after 5.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you SalB, Smueller & Pegonthroad for your suggestions ..all is appreciated the especially hotel and eatery favourites!