Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Moselle to Black Forest or to Romantic Road

Moselle to Black Forest or to Romantic Road

Jan 7th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Moselle to Black Forest or to Romantic Road

After having been to Amsterdam and Brugge my family will be spending a few days in the Moselle area. We also plan to go to the areas of Lindau/Bodensee/Fussen before going on to Hallstadt and eventually Munich. My options are to go thru the romantic road areas, visiting Dinkelsbuhl/Rothenburg/Wursburg, OR to go thru the Black Forest area and Baden-Baden. Both choices run north/south and will get me to the Moselle area but I'm having difficulty routing both areas into my trip. Any suggestions? Should I skip one over the other? It will be my husband and I and our three teens driving.

Also, I'm also struggling with how to stay in one hotel for a few days at a time, without backtracking to visit various points of interest. And yet, I realize checking in and out of hotels every other night can take up time. Any help appreciated.
Jan 8th, 2006, 02:03 AM
DAX

Baden Baden is great for relaxing but touristy towns like Rothenburg & Dinkelsbuhl offer a lot of medieval fairytale appeal that's worth battling the crowds. Wuerzburg has a decent Residenz baroque castle and Festung/Fortress but I would be willing to trade it with Baden Baden. So ideally, I would go to Baden Baden then drive across to Rothenburg & Dinkelsbuehl. You canmake a quick stop in Schwaebish Hall on the way. Stay overnightin Rothenburg for the nightwatchman tour at 8 PM.
Jan 8th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

So would you suggest I go from Frankfurt to Rothenburg to Baden-Baden to Titisee to Lindau/Fussen to Hallstadt OR Frankfurt to Baden-Baden to Rothenburg down to Ulm to Lindau/Fussen to Hallstadt?? Stopping along the way of course...

Anyone else?
Jan 8th, 2006, 11:04 AM

From Bodensee, I'd drive to Hallstatt via Mittenwald, Innsbruck, Berchtesgaden and Salzburg. If you've got the time, try staying off the major highways and find the smaller towns and roads. Hallstatt is NOT TO BE MISSED. We rented an apartment there a few years ago and it was the highlight of our Switzerland, Germany and Austria vacation.
Enjoy!
Jan 8th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Would you suggest we just spend the day driving from Bodensee to Hallstadt enjoying the day stops along the way or would you suggest we stop overnight somewhere along the way to Hallstadt?
Jan 8th, 2006, 07:49 PM
DAX

Honestly, Bodensee doesn't impress me that much even though I've been there twice (second time wasn't any better). Many Germans love vacationing there because it is the only major German lake bordering Switzerland but I prefer Lake Lucerne or the Salzkammergut lakes where Hallstatt is. You may want to consider Nurnberg instead of the long drive south to Bodensee.

To answer your question, you can do Heidelberg & Baden Baden, then stay 2 nights in Rothenburg with Dinkelsbuhl as a daytrip. If you have enough days, you can stay 2 nights in Nurnberg with an optional daytrip to Bamberg(short freeway drive 36 miles) or Wagnertown of Bayreuth. I prefer Bamberg over Wuerzburg because it has more small town charm.

You can take the Garmisch, Mittenwald & Innsbruck slower route to get to the Salzkammergut lakes. The view of Innsbruck from the high alpine road is incredible as you drive down into the valley, but traffic can be hell at certain time of the year.

On your final drive from Hallstatt to Munich you should stay 2 nights in Salzburg with a daytrip to the nearby saltmine(underground slides for family activity). BTW Hallstatt also has a saltmine.I have no idea how many days you have. If you have enough time, you can tour the hills around Berchtesgaden or Chiemsee where there is a copy of the Versailles built on an island just off the freeway between Salzburg & Munich. You need atleast half a day as it requires a scheduled boat ride to reach the island palace.

Search this Thread