germany itinerary-too ambitious??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leave Baden Baden Mon 9/27-drive to Lindau-overnight. Lindau to Oberammergau-overnight.Obergammergau to Salzburg-2 nights. Salzburg to Rothenburg-overnight.Rothenburg to Frankfurt-fly home.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 04:18 AM

Yes, why bother?
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 04:38 AM
rex

On any given day, you will find that almost anyone (myself included) might write an impish little reply like Tuck has. Forgive him/her.

Do you live in Baden-Baden? or in Europe? Is there more trip (outside Germany?) that precedes this? Have you mapped this out on www,viamichelin.com or a similar website? www.mappy.com is another one.

It's ambitious, but especially if you like to drive, and maybe if you're an early riser who would just as soon get on the road by 8 am, it will be okay. You won't ever be driving past noon, I don't think.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 04:41 AM

I would kill Lindau and take a more direct route to Salzburg, stopping overnight en route in Augsburg or environs.

I'd then drive to Oberammergau heading BACK from Salzburg; this helps break up that otherwise very long drive from Salzburg to Rothenburg. In fact, I'd enjoy a brief stop in O'gau in the day but push on for oh, say, Ottobeuren (near Memmingen) for the night. The next morning, I'd take in the abbey and then head for Rothenburg for the balance of the day. Note: You'll need about 3 hours to get to Frankfurt airport though, so unless your flight is in the evening this might not be do-able without an overnight in Frankfurt.

It's otherwise do-able, but note you'll need to use the autobahns a lot, and of course this is a rally driving tour - but of course you know that.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 04:43 AM
JonJon

Some people are more ambitious than others so asking if this is "too ambitious" brings the possibility of hearing from those who think going to more than one location within a week is "too ambitious."
If you like the itinerary and are reasonably assured it can be accomplished and are also aware of any stress that might be involved, etc., etc., to include possibly not being able to do a lot of "in depth" exploration, then what's not to like? It isn't as if you are dragging anyone along against their will. Go for it.

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 05:23 AM

Rex, irish will "fly home", so he/she doesn't live in Baden Baden. Impish or not my point is, why whiz through some of the loveliest scenery, missing many pleasures? If one simply likes to drive, as you say, one can do so nearer to home...there's no need to journey to Bavaria for that.

Just my opinion, that's all.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 05:59 AM
rex

Might be flying home to London. I guess I take the attitude that people come here - - and frequently know themsel;ves, and have thought about what they think they want to do. Some show signs of not having a clue of what they are planning to do. This one doesn't strike me that way.

For people who DO seem to have a clue what they are trying to do, I generally try to write a supportive message, unless I foresee a huge pitfall that they haven't thought about.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all-except Tuck.I live in Oregon.Taking train from Paris to Baden Baden-2 nights-rent car and hit the roads. Via Michelin total mileage 755 miles. Probably 10 days a better choice.
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 03:39 PM
rex

Oh my gosh. I just stumbled across this old thread. So, are you the Valerie Irish who wrote to me? And all this time, I thought it was a pseudonym!

I thought I was defending your plans here. What did you think?
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 03:56 PM

Rex - I'm curious. So, was it "too ambitious", after all?

Tuck (I'm a he)