Search

Help with Itinerary in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Itinerary in Germany

Hi,
We are taking the train from Salzburg to Munich and will rent a car there. We want to go to Bavaria area, Mozel area, Black Forest area, Baden Baden then to Frankfurt to leave. We will have about 2 weeks to cover this area. How long do we need in these areas and any suggestions on things to see? Places to stay?
Thanks nvmike
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 03:38 PM

The area you plan to travel is huge, really - Bavaria alone is 27,000 square miles and has dozens and dozens of worthwhile destinations. It would be good to zero in on your interests in your post so that you can get appropriate suggestions. Consult a guidebook, see what stirs you, and you will have get more specific feedback, no doubt.

Mosel - all very interesting, highlights include Burg Eltz, Cochem, Trier, Bernkastel, and Beilstein, in my book; good hiking and biking along the way. I think a stay of 3 nights provides a good general experience, but I know people who have said a month is too short - so it really depends on your interests.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 05:55 PM

I agree that your planned coverage area is perhaps a bit daunting. Please do not diminish Salzburg; it cannot be properly seen in a day or two. I'd cut your area in half. Bavaria itself should take a minimum of two weeks. I also agree that if you become more specific in your post, assistance might be more forthcoming.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 12:49 PM

After twice a year trips to Germany for the last 5 years I would recommend renting a car in Salzburg
and staying in this beautiful town for two days then head off to other places.

Why pick up a car in Munich and possibly have to back track? Driving from Salzburg permits you to visit the charming towns and areas around Berchestgarden,
Fussen, Lake Tegernsee and those along the Romantic Road. Further north are the fabulous towns of Munich, Nurnberg and Rothenberg ob de Tauber! Touring all these Bavarian towns would take up your entire two weeks.

By the way do not reserve through a U.S. 1-800 line like AVIS or Hertz or you'll be charged two to three times more than the rate quoted by simply walking into the local rent-a-car office in Europe.

Baden Baden is nice but does not have the towering Alps and dramatic landscape like Bavaria. It does have lots of towering trees in deep,thick forests and skillfully craved wooden pieces and good quality cuckcoo clocks. My husband and I had a great time in the Lake Titisee area and had the best Black Forest cake we ever tasted.

Frankfurt has lots of tall buidings and a small old town. I wouldn't spend more than one day there.

The Mosel is best left for another vacation during the fall.

If you prefer to run through a town than you could cover a lot of ground by I would not recommend it.
My best travel experiences always
happen when staying in one place more a few days.

Have fun.

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi Russ and Chocobon,
Thanks for the input. We are still in the process of planning and we do have cities in Bavaria we are going to see...not cover all of Bavaria. I'll try to be more specific about the places we are interested in. We have books about Germany and have looked on the net and will continue to seek support from you experts out there. I'll get another post off soon.
Thanks,
nvmike