Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Geneve, Milan and Venice: which one first?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to go to Geneve and Italy (Milan and Venice), but I don't know from where to start my journey: should I fly directly to Geneve and from there, go to Milan and Venice,(by train?) or go: Venice-Milan-Geneve instead?.it's my first time on my own in Europe and I'm kind of lost in choosing the right way to move around those destinations.
Thanks for any help!.
By the way: Any comments on: International Terminus, Bernina Geneve and/or Hotel Arcades, all in Geneve?
Old Sep 9th, 2006, 07:38 PM

It will work either way round as far as rail travel between the three cities is concerned. There are plenty of choice for trains to/from Milan for both Geneva and Venice.

Cheers,

Bill
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 12:49 AM

FWIW the airport in Geneva is somewhat easier to reach/leave than the main airport in Venice.

Geneva's airport has it own rail station from which most of the trains originating in Geneva start out. If you are leaving somwhere early in the morning that may (or may not) make a difference.

I have stayed in Geneva but not at any of the hotels you have listed so cannot offer an opinion.

Have you looked on www.tripadvisor.com to see if any of them are reviewed there?
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 04:59 AM
ira

Hi dn,

I suggest flying into Milan, on to Venice and flying out of Geneva.

Ususally better connections than flying out of Venice.

Old Sep 10th, 2006, 06:08 AM

Ira's recommendation might make more sense if it didn't require you to backtrack through Milan to get to Geneva.

Unfortunately, we do not know WHERE you are flying FROM so IMo it is a bit difficult to make recommendations about the connections possibilities.

It is far easier to get to the train station in Geneva than it is from the airport in Milan.

I would fly into venice, take trains to Milan and then to Geneva and fly home from there.
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 08:28 AM
ira

Hi Dukey,

At least we agree to leave from Geneva.

Old Sep 13th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Dukey..answering your question, I will be leaving from the Dominican Republic...we have good flight connections to Europe from here.
Everybody has agreed in leaving from Geneva.
I was also interested in including Prague in my itinerary too, but it's been kind of difficult getting information about trains departing to Prague from Venice.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 04:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Arrive Venice, train Milan, train Geneva. Fly out of Geneva (it is an incredibly easy airport). You don't necessarily have to stay in the city but could base in the towns along the lake such as Lausanne, Vevey, or Montreux.