geneva or chamonix?

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
geneva or chamonix?

Hi,
I know many of you have been helping out on my other post, trying to figure out my itinerary for an upcoming trip. I'm close to nailing it down, but am wondering: if you had just 24 hrs in just one of these cities, which would you choose? i realize they are incredibly different, but i'm wondering which city might be more apt to give me a "quick taste" if i'm there for a ridiculously short period of time. If a book a hotel in geneva, we could walk around the lake, maybe see old town, that might be nice. Chamonix I realize might be more for the scenery....or is it also the sort of town/city you can walk around and enjoy early eve?

Then there is a train ride from either of of these cities to Wengen. I know if leaving from Geneva, it will be more scenic to go the Gstaad route, which I would do.

TIA,
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Hi lori_beth,

Good idea to start a new topic to get your answers on this. I haven't been to Geneva, but we spent a very pleasant week in Chamonix last August. As you say, they are very different. Chamonix is a sizable village in a valley at the base of Mont Blanc. The scenery all around is incredible. Most of the people there are for the activities---hiking, mountain biking, mountaineering, etc., which you won't have time for (even if you have the inclination, which I don't know). We hiked every day, but also enjoyed strolling the village or along the river in the evenings.

However, your Geneva option should also include staying in one of the towns along the lake close by, such as Morges or Vevey. From Swandav's photos and descriptions of the area (along with Suze's), I think that would be my choice---assuming there is nice walking in the evening along a lakefront promenade. You could still take the very scenic route (via Montreux and Gstaad) from any of the towns along there. And if you had time---the Chateau du Chillon is high on the list of wonderful castles to explore.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply,
Yes, we would certainly be up for the hiking & biking in Chamonix but will have to save that for our travels in the wengen/murren area...
Did you like where you stayed in chamonix? would you recommend it? I have been corresponding w/Bois Prin but have not booked anything yet....still thinking...
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:38 AM

If you do choose Chamonix, maybe you would have time to ride the Brevant lift up for incredible views across the valley to Mont Blanc.

We were there as a family group of nine, and rented a chalet for the whole week, but that isn't an option for you. I'm afraid I never even looked into hotels there, so can't help on that. For dinner, we loved the Hotel Eden in Les Praz des Chamonix, the next village up the valley (a 20-minute walk along a riverside path). But I wouldn't recommend that you stay there, because, although the train does stop there, there is no station; you must either have a train pass or buy tickets from the conductor.

Also---if you do choose Chamonix, and are buying Swiss train passes, many of them include coverage all the way to Chamonix (our Saverpasses did).
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 01:50 PM

Hi
When we were in Chamonix several yrs ago, we stayed in the Mercure Hotel downtown. Loved the lift up to Mt. Blanc. It was exciting to ride up there. We have been to Geneva also, but can't remember where we stayed. Unfortunatlt, I don't keep a journal as I keep promising myself to do. The ride up to Mt. Blanc however is memorable. One day was enough.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Take the cable car across to Courmayeur & whilst in Chamonix buy yourself a marmot glove puppet.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 03:00 PM

Hey there, lb -- I lived in Geneva for a few years and really loved it, but if I had only a day, I'd probably opt for Chamonix. I do think you can get a taste of either in 24 hours -- Geneva is awfully compact -- but personally I'd rather taste Chamonix. Of course, if you're heading to Wengen (great call, by the way), you'll already be getting a taste of mountains, so .. sort of depends on what you're after. Chamonix and Wengen have different personalities, but they're obviously more alike than Chamonix and Geneva.

Anyway, beyond the amazing scenery, you can definitely wander around Chamonix town -- I think it's got a really nice feel and personality all it's own. If you're willing to spend some dough, the Hameau Albert I is pretty fabulous, especially if you get one of the places in the out-building with views of Mont Blanc. (Nice spa too). Less expensive and more historic is the Hotel Mont Blanc, which had a real Victorian/Paris in the 20s feel to it. Both very nice.

Enjoy.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 03:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My vote goes to "not Geneva"
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 03:25 PM
P_M

I like Geneva, but given that choice it's a no-brainer--Chamonix all the way!!
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 04:30 AM

lori_beth

I have been to Chamonix in summer and therefore echo the comments expressed above.

I stayed at the Hotel Croix Blanche 3*, sister hotel of the Hotel Mont Blanc 4*. Centrally located. Good size rooms. Ask for a room which has been renovated and with a balcony. The ones overlooking the car park actually has good views towards Mont Blanc.

S
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

chamonix it is!
thanks to all!

now i have to start another thread for my next question!