Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Geneva: Hotel des Brieges or Hotel du Rhone?

Jun 5th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Irina

Anyone has stayed there? Which one is located closer to the center or main tourist attractions?

Jun 5th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Andre

Irina,

Both are very good luxury hotels. I haven't stayed in either as I live nearby, but have seen the rooms at the du Rhone.

The Hotel du Rhone has an ugly 1950s exterior, but the rooms were beautifully renovated a few years ago and it's considered by many to be the best hotel in town. It is managed by Mandarin Oriental. The new chef at the restaurant Le Neptune is supposed to be very good.

The Hotel des Bergues is located at the tip of Lake Geneva on a noisy intersection. It's a beautiful old building, but not much of a lobby and I can't vouch for the rooms. Managed by Le Meridien which is generally a step down from Mandarin Oriental. Last time I ate there the food was terrible.

Both hotels are extremely well located and about a 10 min. walk from each other. Hotel des Bergues is a little more central, but noisier as mentioned.

Hope this helps,
Andre

Jun 5th, 2002, 07:46 PM
Irina

Bonjour Andre,
Thank you very much for taking time to reply. It does help. Is there any other top hotels with better location? I've never been in Geneva. For the first time visitor in December what would be the best location/hotel?

Jun 5th, 2002, 08:15 PM
Poppy

I have stayed at both -- but not in the past few years. The du Rhone was relatively "cold" and lacked charm. The rooms at des Bergues were more comfortable but in recent visits I found the staff to be somewhat stuffy. Of the two, the des Bergues has the better location. You might also want to consider the de la Paix, the Beau Rivage and the Richemond, all of which are on the edge of the lake, not far from des Berges and are in the same category. By the way -- if you stay at des Bergues and have a room overlooking the lake and you order breakfast in your room -- if you have a good strong arm you can throw the rolls (which always seem to be close-to-stale) into the lake to feed the swans!
A less expensive -- but clean, friendly and comfortable with charming rooms -- choice nearby is the Hotel d'Alleves.

Jun 5th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Ursula

Irina: You might want to have a look at Hotel Tiffany****.
I've read positive comments about it on this board.
It will also be less expensive than the two others which are considered top hotels in Geneva.
http://www.hotel-tiffany.ch

I've stayed several times at the Du Rhone for business., but cannot compare with the Des Bergues.

Jun 6th, 2002, 02:06 AM
Andre

Irina,

The du Rhone would probably be my first choice, because it is in good shape and has top class service.

However, for value and a great lake view, I would look at the recently renovated President Wilson (Starwood Luxury Collection). They usually have amazing winter rates. The location on the lakeside promenade is somewhat less central than the other luxury hotels, but the savings generally more than make up for that.

If you're looking for an old-fashioned grand hotel, the des Bergues or Beau Rivage (great lobby) would be the best.

Hotel de la Paix, mentioned in another post, is an old dump. Richemond used to be top flight but has slipped and is up for sale.

Andre