Reload this Page >

Train from Rome to Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:20 PM
alex

Hi <BR>We are looking to travel from Rome to Florence by EuroStar Italia. I am overwhelmed by the little bits of advice that are floating around. Could someone please let me know exactly what I need to do to complete this trip (booking trips-reserving seats-validating) . Thank you

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 02:39 PM
Judith

I just booked the same route but in reverse. First, make sure that you have seat reservations. You should, they are mandatory on Eurostar trains. Arrive early. My experience has been that the trains are fairly timely. If you have a 9:30 a.m. departure time, the train will pull out of the station at 9:30 a.m. I'd arrive at the station in Rome (Termini) at least 30 to 40 minutes early. If it is your first time at Termini, it can be a little confusing. There are small "punch card" like boxes mounted around each track. Put your ticket into one of these to validate it. If you don't and the conductor has to validate it, it will cost your extra. Before you get on the train, try to find a conductor to confirm that this is the right train for you. Find your seat and then find a place for your luggage. Where you choose to board the train may be 5 or 6 cars away from your seat so don't immediately put your luggage in a luggage area. Don't ever leave your luggage unattended in the station. And, watch out for the beggars.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Chris

We just returned from Italy on Friday. We did take the Eurostar. I would suggest getting your tickets in Rome at a travel agent. They are all over the place, simple, took no time, and we paid about half of what we would have if we booked online. I do agree with getting ther early, our Eurostar pulled out exactly on time. We did not have our tickets validated and did not get any flack form the conductor or get charged extra. But if you want to there are machines right there at the platform. It is very simple- don't be overwhelmed. I can see how you could be by all of the comments, but really it is very easy. Do watch out for the pick pockets! Have fun!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Susan

In January, my family of four (including two children ages 10 and 7)took the train from Rome to Florence. We booked everything through the American Express office near the Spanish Steps. We decided to go first class--some of the trains even have a private compartment for four. We were a bit intimidated by the process but it was really easy once we did it. First, calmly wait to see what track your train will arrive on--we weren't patient enough the first time we did this -- they update the track numbers every few minutes on a giant information board. You can't miss the bright yellow boxes where you validate your tickets. The personnel at the American Express office at the Spanish Steps were very helpful.<BR><BR>Have a great trip! I wish we had trains like the EuroStar in the USA!<BR><BR>Susan

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 10:40 PM
Joanne

Alex: It's not a matter of "if you like, validate your ticket." It is mandatory, and as another posted noted you can be heavily fined if this isn't done.<BR><BR>Arriving early is good advice. We once waited at the track (binario ?spelling) posted, only to discover that the mass exodus of passengers was because the track had been changed. When we figured out what was going on, we had to run to catch our train.<BR><BR>Everything is indicated on your ticket, car #, seat #s, etc. The car #s are usually posted in the window by the entrance to the train. There are luggage racks at the end of each car and they fill up fast. There are racks over the seats, but they're too small to hold our bags. My husband stays near the luggage until we leave the station. Since Rome to Florence on Eurostar is nonstop, no worries until you arrive.<BR><BR>You'll do fine. It is quite a pleasant trip, comfortable seating and you'll be traveling through pretty countryside.<BR><BR>j<BR>

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 04:43 AM
J T Kirk

AS others above have said, it's not a big deal. (I say this because I too was concerned about it. Once I got there and did it - train travel - I realized how easy it is.) I went on a Friday afternoon to a travel agent in Rome near my hotel (travel agents are EVERYWHERE). Bought two tickets to Florence for the next day, Saturday. No problem. Got to the train station about 15-20 minutes ahead of time. People were very helpful and pointed us to the right track (things are well marked, but there are tons of trains coming and going). VALIDATE your ticket BEFORE you get on the train. You'll see the little boxes to do this. If not sure, ask. People will assist. (Do watch the beggars, though.) Have fun.