Barcelona

May 20th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Claire Coughtrie

Barcelona

My husband and I are going to Barcelona for the weekend and would like some tips on Restaurants. Possible a couple of expensive ones and a few more traditional. Can you help ? Thanks

May 20th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Jean Valjean

I can think of a few...

Citrus, on Passeig de Gracia (above Tapa Tapa) has very good food in a nice setting, good for dinner. Metro: Passeig de Gracia.

Cerveseria Catlana, on the corner of Mallorca and Rambla Catalunya. Excellent montaditos and tapas. Metro: Diagonal.

Botafumeiro, on Gran de Gracia. The best seafood in Barcelona. Very expensive, but worth it. Reservations essential. Metro: Fontana

Casa Tejada, on Tenor Viñas, close to Plaza Francesc Macia. Excellent tapas. Trust their recommendations. Very expensive (for tapas). FGC: Muntaner

La Fonda, on Escudellers, one (short) block from Los Caracoles (a tourist trap, IMHO). Very good food, nice setting, very good value. No reservations, so arrive early. Metro: Drassanes.

El Mussol, on Diagonal. 4-5 blocks from Passeig de Gracia. Great Catalan food, emphasis on grilled steaks and vegetables. Metro: Diagonal.

May 20th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Henry

CC: Try Caricoles(sp?),El Glop & Set Portes.I believe all will be in Fodors guide.Enjoy.

May 20th, 2002, 10:33 AM
Julie

Casa Calvet is a lovely restaurant in a Guadi designed building. Has excellent food. We liked Tapa Tapa for tapas.

May 20th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Maribel

Claire,
A second to Set Portes (paellas), Botafumeiro (wonderful seafood!) and Casa Tejada for tapas.

Here are a few more::

In the La Ribera section~

1) "Cal Pep" (Placa de les Olles #8-near Picasso Museum)-get there early, by 1:30, to have tapas at the lively, miniscule, crowded bar (tiny rm in back with tables), exceptional grilled fish /seafood prepared by owner and energetic helpers who with great choreography keep up with the steady stream of orders, just order what others are having or put your hands in the waiters or Pep, house white wine.

2) "Senyor Parellada" (Argenteria #37)-near the Santa Maria del Mar church, stylish, atmospheric modern decor, pale yellow walls, an atrium with skylight and ceiling fans, popular with publishing crowd and artsy types, creative Catalan cuisine, caldereta de pescado (bouillabaisse), homemade desserts-owner speaks English

In theater district (take taxi at night)~

3) "Ca L'Isidre" (les Flors #12-in Raval district, near Paral.lel)-small
and family run, been around for 30 yrs, fave of the King, elegant, walls lined with contemp. paintings, artichoke hearts stuffed with wild mushrooms and duck liver, shoulder of kid roasted with sweet onions, excellent wine list, homemade desserts made by daughter, Nuria, who trained with Alain Ducasse, professional service, repeat clientele, popular with local celebs., highly recommended by foodies (NY Times and Coleman Andrews, author of Catalan Cuisine say it's best in town). Reserve a few days in advance. Closed Sun. Exp.

May 20th, 2002, 04:35 PM
navyflyer

La Fonda definetely: however get there between 1315 and 1330, i.e: 1:15 to 1:30PM for civilians. If you get there after that, there will be a huge line that will go around the block. A very good restaurant. I went there three times. Service is excellent and it was not expensive at all.
The Goyescas in the Hotel Arts is expensive, nice inside too. However, prefered La Fonda.

May 20th, 2002, 05:03 PM
monica

I was in Barcelona with my husband in February this year. We had one of our most memorable meals at a restaaurant in the hills just outside the city. The resturant was called the Atlantic, in Tibidabo. The food was excellent and the service was impeccable. I highly reccomend it. Also the restaurant had a great view of Barcelona down below.

May 20th, 2002, 06:55 PM
mark

I can second Casa Calvet and Citrus and would also suggest Can Gaig (which is listed in Fodor's restaurant recs). Also - the NYT's had a very interesting article about a restaurant that serves savory / sweet entrees and desserts: Espai Sucre, Princesa 53, (34) 93-268-1630

May 21st, 2002, 09:04 PM
DebF.

A third recommendation for Casa Tejada. Ate there at the beginning of May. If you finish dinner late have them call a taxi or walk down Calvet to Avenida Diagonal. The streets are deserted and it was hard to find a cab.

I can also recommend La Taverna del Born at 27-29 Passeig del Born in the Born neighborhood. Great tapas. They also specialize in bacalao and "las cazuelitas de la abuela," slow-cooked dishes/stews that are served in single-serving casserole dishes. Very casual, mostly locals.

Jun 1st, 2002, 10:29 PM
car

Tapas at Tapa Tapa - sit at the bar! - very friendly staff! Inexpensive

Jun 2nd, 2002, 06:38 PM
Paula

My favorite in Barcelona was La Dolca Herminia at Magdalenes 27--2 blocks towards Ramblas from Palais de la Musica. Excellent, inexpensive food, nice atmosphere, and they even had a no-smoking section.

Jun 6th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Ken

How do you order Tapas? Do they have menu for it? Or they are already ready on the plates and one just asks for or points to it? Thanks.