Search

Geneva

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:01 PM
K

Geneva

Should I spend a week in November in Geneva?

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Rex

What are your other choices? Are you budget-constrained? Geneva is expensive, and there are a number of other more interesting choices in my opinion - - even more interesting choices in a 2-3 hour circle of Geneva.<BR><BR>Some nearby places that I have enjoyed before:<BR><BR>Domaine de Chateauvieux - - to eat or to stay - - about 15-20 minutes away in Satigny. See www.karenbrown.com/switzerland/satigny.html or http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/17/travel/17TAB.html (which also lists other good places in and around Geneva). As always, requires registration to read this, but it's free.<BR><BR>And further afield, there is much to like in Annecy or even better Talloires (not sure how seasonal are the establishments in Talloires).<BR><BR>Of course, since I started off asking about your budget, none of these are exactly cheap places.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR><BR>

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 12:20 PM
K

Thank you for the good and detailed advice. Fortunately, on this trip the budget is no issue, but thanks for the expense warning! I have been to Annecy and loved it. Again, thanks for the input...very helpful!

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 02:14 PM
jack

Agree with rex that you can do a lot and see a lot rather than spend a week in geneva. Maybe take a week around lake geneva but still i think you would have time to see more (unless thats not your idea of a holiday and you prefer to stay in one place).

Old Oct 10th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Andrea

I lived in Geneva a few years ago and loved it, but I can't say I'd recommend it to anyone for a week's vacation unless they'd already traveled to many, many other European capitals (I can't believe it - just counted and it was SEVEN years ago!!).<BR><BR>I think Geneva is lovely; it's a very cosmopolitan international city with fabulous restaurants, a wonderful opera, interesting museums (including a fabulous watch museum), great shopping, and a charming (albeit small) old town. It's also home to the UN, the International Red Cross museum (it was founded here), and CERN, the world's largest particle accelerator. And, as others have mentioned, there are very nice day trips around the region. It's a particularly nice place to visit if budget is no issue!<BR><BR>That said, however, I think there are other European capitals that are more dynamic, have many similar things on offer and even more standard tourist attractions. If you haven't been to Moscow and St. Petersburg yet, I'd recommend those far, far above Geneva.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 08:17 AM
s

Hello K,<BR><BR>While I agree with others that Geneva itself will not keep you enchanted for a week, I do think the wider area of Lake Geneva is worth **at least** a week. It’s one of my favorite places; I return there often. Here’s my list of favorite activities, using Montreux as a base:<BR><BR>Spend a morning walking along the 11km flowered lakeside promenade from Clarens to Villeneuve, passing the Chateau Chillon between Territet and Villeneuve; there are plenty of cafes to stop and have a coffee & snack along the way to replenish your strength. There are also plenty of benches to sit and read, watch other walkers, or simply stare at the majesty of the lake and the mountains in the distance. <BR><BR>Top off your long walk with a wonderful pizza & beer lunch at a lakeside caf&eacute; in Villeneuve, then take the ferry back to Montreux (I think the ferry stops in late Sep/Oct). <BR><BR>Spend the morning in Vevey hunting down the antiques shops in the old town. Then have lunch at the Hostellerie de Geneve on the Pl. Marche (reviewed -- sort of-- in NY Times Travel section. Go to www.nytimes.com, then to the archives of "What's Doing," then find "What's Doing in Vevey" from summer '99). <BR><BR>Take the train (the “wine train”) from Vevey to Chexbres, then spend a morning walking the vineyards down to the lake, hitting Rivaz & St. Saphorin. For lunch, find the Auberge du Rivaz (in Rivaz . . . ) with a terrace lake view or see if any of the cellars are having a cheese/wine tasting. <BR><BR>Cully (esp. the Auberge du Raisin) and Lutry's well-posted tour of ancient sites are worth a trip as well. <BR><BR>Spend a day in the mountains, taking the train to the resort of Gstaad. On the way back, stop at Chateaux d'Oex, where the only successful round-the-world-by-hot-air-balloon trip was launched. Or stop at Glion for lunch at the Hotel Victoria with its panoramic views of the lake; then walk the rest of the way down to Montreux on a stair-step path through the forest (or take the train or the funicular to Territet). <BR><BR>Spend an afternoon in the medieval village of Gruyeres, making sure to sample the berries in creme-double. <BR><BR>Spend an afteroon in Nyon at the Roman museum and the Caesar's columns nearby. <BR><BR>Spend a morning walking up to Montreux's old city & the museum & the old church. Fantastic views from the old church (can't remember the name -- but it's prominent in the old city). Have lunch at the restaurant at the museum. <BR><BR>Here are the websites: <BR>www.montreux.ch (find their picture gallery) <BR>www.vevey.ch <BR>www.lake-geneva-region.ch <BR>www.gruyeres.ch <BR>www.nyon.ch <BR>www. lutry.ch <BR>www.concierge.com (type in "Switzerland" as a <BR>destination, then go to "Lausanne & the Alps"). <BR>www.myswitzerland.com <BR><BR>http://www.lavaux.ch/sentier2.htm<BR><BR>http://www.hospvd.ch/public/eccmid/lavaux.html <BR><BR>My personal travel journal of Montreux w/photos<BR>www.igougo.com/planning/journal.asp?JournalID=7825<BR><BR>Have a great trip!<BR> <BR>s

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 02:23 PM
up

topping<BR>

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Susan

I have spent four trips to Switzerland (I have a dear friend who lives there) in the area outside Geneva easily reached by the train, along Lac Luman, including Lausanne, Vevey, and Montreux (highly recommend them, especially Vevey). I've only been to Geneva on day trips for shopping and to have lunch in the historic district.