gemany in the fall

Search

gemany in the fall

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gemany in the fall

We've never been to Germany, my husband and I are going in the Fall.

We like to see castles, street markets, history, rock concerts and classical recitals.

We love to walk and take public transportation.

At night we enjoy walking around with all the locals, eating, shopping, busy nightlife.

Where should we go?

Thank you for any suggestions.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 11:35 AM

Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Dresden, ....
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 11:37 AM

Munich, Bavaria -- Augustiner Keller beer -- I can taste it now.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Intrepid

Definitely Munich and/or Berlin. The former is great even if you don't drink beer, too!

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:01 PM

Bamberg.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 12:35 PM
hsv

donnae_b,

which time in fall are you considering?

Wheather in Germany can be grim during November in particular.

In general I would advise you to include Berlin and Hamburg (not so far apart from each other) in your trip.
Lots of things happening in Berlin currently and very lively music scene in Hamburg (Opera, Musicals like Lion King, Titanic, Theatre and Clubs). Very fashionable restaurants, too. However if you will be going in November, I would not be so sure of this advice, but then again it won't be too good in Munich or Cologne either.
Will try to gather some info who and what's playing, if you will contribute some time space!
regards
hsv
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 03:47 PM

The above are all excellent suggestions, but they are all large cities with the exception of Bamberg - no castles. For castles you need to go to the Rheingau/Mosel, or the "Fairy-tale" castles in Bavaria. For history Berlin is excellent along with Dresden and Liepzig. For more distant history you might consider the Reformation sites such as Wittenberg and Eisenach. For other ideas visit
"www.germany-tourism.de". Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 04:12 PM

Germany is gorgeous in the Fall, at least in September/October. I spent a month and only covered Southern Germany and a bit of Austria. If you'd like my trip report to give you some ideas, please e-mail me at [email protected]
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 12:14 AM
hsv

usually very good advice from CharlieB, but I have to disagree here (no offense)-

When going to Berlin there is the ultimate German Castle- not a medieval one, but still the most gorgeous: Sanssoucis in nearby Potsdam. More castles (a number of which renovated to serve as hotels nowadays) can be visited one the way in the German state (Bundesland) of Mecklenburg- Vorpommern.

History as such is a very complex theme for travels- I suppose there is history to be found in every big city as well as region. It just depends on what you're looking for and how much into detail you are willing to go.

This is not to say that the region promoted by CharlieB would be a bad choice- rather the contrary. I still would stick with Berlin and Hamburg in your place.

hsv
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 05:26 AM

Munich- make sure not to miss Viktualienmarkt- close to Marienplatz- it's a street market that's spectacular; The Romantic Road (the leaves on the trees are turning along this route and are lovely)-lots of castles on this road- include one night in Rothenburg and get there right before sunset- breathtaking. Heidelburg, Bamberg. Cologne can be crowded during the day, but the church is absolutely spectacular.

I'm sure others here will also have lots of recs. Hope you have fun.
I think Germany in the fall is lovely and also probably the best time to be there! Other than of course Spring, Winter and Summer!!! ;-)
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 05:27 AM

hsv - I don't think we totally disagree - we just have different a perception of "castle". To me "castle" denotes a fortified structure with walls, battlements, towers, parapets, and such. Thus, I consider Potsdam more as a palace rather than a castle - though indeed spectacular. If donnae_b is really into history she could easily follow up her visit to Potsdam to Kopenik to see the castle (palace) where Frederick was raised and forced to witness the beheading of his friend and co-conspirator in the foiled attempt of Frederick to escape to England. The best fortress type castle near Berlin would be the Citadel in Spandau- also steeped in history, it was headquarters for the Swedish army during the 30 Years War and later served as the prison for Rudolph Hess. I fully agree that Berlin would be my 1# destination. Donnae_b forget our perhaps meaningless semantic bickering and enjoy your trip.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 05:48 AM

Sorry to disagree but having been to both I would not substitute Hamburg for Munich..close to Berlin or not given the original poster's desires in terms of what they like the most.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 06:05 AM
jmw

When it comes to Germany, I'm a shameless tourist. My vote goes to the Mosel river valley and Burg Eltz, the Romantic Road including Rothenburg and Dinkelsbuhl, Heidelberg and the little Neckar valley -- there's a little walk somewhere near Neckargmund that runs among four castle ruins, (and a tiny hilltop town named Dilsberg), and the Bodensee towns of Wasserburg, Meersburg, and Lindau, and Munich (of course), and the Bavarian alp towns of Berchtesgaden and Mittenwald. You have a treat in store for you! Wish I could see those places again for the first time! J.

Old Jul 27th, 2003, 08:40 AM
hsv

CharlieB,

I assume your wording is more correct than mine and I gladly accept Potsdam as a palace more than a castle!
That would indeed make our postings unanimous!

Donnae_b, I guess what it comes down to is a decision as to whether you want mountains/ hills or not!

hsv
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 11:00 PM

Around late October weather gets bad. (Cold/Rainy) I would defintely suggest the romantic road. But you seem to be more interested in the urban areas. Munich is definatly nice but any of the major cities you can find what your looking for.