Gatwick to Heathrow

Sep 18th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Gatwick to Heathrow

I just read an earlier thread regarding transfers between Heathrow and Gatwick. I will be arriving at 7:00 at Gatwick next Wednesday and my flight from Heathrow leaves at 10:30. Like the other travelers, I was assured that this transfer was doable, but now I am not so sure. I haven't flown into Gatwick before so I was curious to see if you think that clearing customs etc., is faster from Gatwick. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Sep 18th, 2007, 05:23 AM

Yes, you should get through immigration/passport control faster at Gatwick. However, you'll be on the road during rush hour. I hope you're booked all the way through so your airline will have to put you on the next available flight if you miss your connection. If you're even a little bit late arriving at Gatwick, you have almost no chance of making your connection.
Sep 18th, 2007, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I am booked all the way through, but the next flight is not until 16:00 which will put a damper on the day. Thank you.
Sep 18th, 2007, 06:20 AM

If you miss your connection, you would have time to take a taxi to Windsor for a quick tour of the castle.
Sep 18th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

It has been so long since I have been to London that I can't remember where anything is located. So Windsor is pretty close to Heathrow?
Sep 18th, 2007, 06:41 AM

Yes - about 7 miles.

Hope you can make your flight, don't count on it, and have a plan B to pop over to Windsor.
Sep 18th, 2007, 06:44 AM
yk

Crazy - It's so hard to say. It depends on how many flights are arriving at Gatwick during that hour.

In the last 3 years, I've arrived at 8am in Gatwick 3 times: 2 times it was a zoo, once it was relatively empty.

My last trip, which was 2 weeks ago, I waited an hour in the immigration line at Gatwick (at 8am arrival).

Of course, if you are a EU citizen, you'll get thru immigration way faster! Good luck.
Sep 18th, 2007, 06:48 AM

If we have to fly from Heathrow, we allow at least a couple of hours for the bus from Gatwick, although the actual journey time is about an hour, as the motorway round to Heathrow can be a nightmare and aim to be checking in about 3 hours before the flight, which allows plenty of time to get through security. You also have to get through customs, collect luggage and get to the bus - I think you are too tight on time.
Sep 18th, 2007, 07:01 AM

I agree that this is way too tight. Allowing three hours at Heathrow you need to be there half an hour after you're supposed to land at Gatwick. Even allowing two hours for check-in you don't have enough time. And the traffic on the M25 is unpredictable - all it takes is one accident to tie things up (my niece recently created a five mile back-up).

I would plan on catching the later flight, head for Heathrow, and then go over to Windsor if it turns out you have lots of time. My upcoming trip I arrive at Gatwick at 7:00 and leave Heathrow at 14:00, and plan to just eat and read at Heathrow if I wind up with plenty of time. Have to get my cholesterol fix, lol (English breakfast).
Sep 18th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

I know that I am cutting it close, but unfortunately, I didn't know that at the time I booked. Live and learn... Thanks for all of the replys. I will hope that I have good karma to make the flight, but will make the best of it if I don't. It will be nice to see London again.
Sep 18th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Somthing mentioned in the Grauniad today - well they mentioned it existed then forgot to include the web address

http://www.ukairportdelays.co.uk/Immigration
Sep 18th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Interesting. Any thoughts on how the league position relates to the number of foreigners (or non-EU, I guess) arriving at the given airport?
Sep 18th, 2007, 09:12 AM

For immigration it's probably the only factor - Coventry probably gets a dozen non-EU folk a week

But there are other things to be taken into account like luggage collection