Search

Gasoline Pumps

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:59 AM
Carl

Gasoline Pumps

Am planning on renting a car and traveling around Germany this summer. Will I be able to swipe a credit card at most gasoline pumps? Or should I plan on paying cash? Am visiting large cities and rural areas.

Old May 1st, 2002, 08:03 AM
Rex

Well over 50% - and probably increasing all the time.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 08:10 AM
Gary

When we were there this spring I did not notice any which really surprised me, although I am sure there must be some. But I had planned on paying cash anyway.<BR>Prices were 1.00 to 1.05 Euro per Litre<BR>Gary<BR>Diesel was about .85 Euro per Litre

Old May 1st, 2002, 08:53 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>this varies a little by country.<BR><BR>Also some pumps will only take debit cards (don't know why !)<BR><BR>French pumps generally will not take some foreign cards.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 12:34 PM

topping<BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:42 PM
Alec

Germany is still very much a cash society and most locals pay for gas in cash. Credit cards are accepted by most stations (certainly by all those belonging to a chain), but swiping at the pump is rare. Normal procedure is to pay at the cash desk, either by swiping the card yourself or letting the staff do it. Paying by plastic for fuel only came in during the 80's but during the past 10 years of touring Germany, I've never had to pay cash, even in rural areas.

Old May 1st, 2002, 04:04 PM
Ellie

Who is correct? Rex says well over 50% of pumps have cardreaders, Alec says it is rare.

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:45 PM
Alec

What Rex meant was probably the proportion of stations taking cards over cash-only places. I still maintain I haven't seen many card-readers attached to individual pumps. It doesn't really matter because you can still pay with card at the till at almost all places.

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:11 PM
Betsy

In some Italian service stations that are closed in the afternoon, you can still swipe your card at one of the pumps outside. So if you see a closed (chiuso) sign at the station, don't assume that you can't buy gas there. Here's a helpful site for buying gas in Italy:<BR><BR>www.slowtrav.com/italy/drive/gas.htm

Old May 1st, 2002, 07:22 PM
up

filling it up<BR>

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:03 AM
sam

I've traveled the area within a 2 hour drive radius of frankfurt rather extensively. most of the gas stations i've stopped at accept credit cards, but I haven't seen any pay at the pump places. Not saying they are not out there, but I haven't experienced any.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:39 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>The reason for all the different responses is, it changes by country.<BR><BR>The most cc friendly is probably Belgium. Virtually all pumps have a card reader taking cc's , mistercash and fuel co cards. Many stations are totally unmanned. <BR><BR>Sweden tends to use cash readers overnight - uses SEK 100 notes. Cc's accepted when the kiosk is open.<BR><BR>Large stations in France have two lines - one takes cc's at the pump and is open 24 hrs, the other is "caisse" and you pay at the till cash or cc. (remember, the auto pumps do not take all foreign cc's)<BR><BR>Some countries are less cc friendly, and country garages may not accept them at all. This is increasingly rare.<BR><BR>You will always be able to pay by cc at motorway rest stations, but it is more expensive.<BR><BR>Other countries vary.<BR><BR>Peter<BR>

Old May 4th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Sabine

Hi Carl,<BR>I'm German and I'm living here. I don't know a single station, which doesn't accept credit cards. Visa, Mastercard or Amex are ok.<BR>In the moment the price for 1 l "Super" is about 1.07 e, but this varies from area to aerea.<BR>Don't take too much cash! Times are changing - even in Germany. Credit cards are very common everywhere.<BR>Have a nice trip!<BR>Sabine

Old May 4th, 2002, 12:16 PM
visa

Of course Sabine is right: ALL gas stations in Germany (and W. Europe in general) accept credit cards. <BR>Typical example of different cultures causing 12 conflicting answers.<BR>In the US, you swipe your card at the pump itself, before pumping. In Europe you mostly pump first, then go pay inside, with a CC if you wish.<BR>So if Rex saw only 50 %, and Gary none, it's because one does not "swipe" outside, but inside, at the cashier. Same difference.<BR>

Old May 4th, 2002, 12:27 PM
Ellie

The original question was "Will I be able to swipe a credit card *AT* most gasoline pumps?" <BR><BR>To me, this means a card-reader incorporated into the gasoline pump.<BR><BR>Had the poster meant to ask if cc's are accepted at filling stations, he would have asked that.<BR><BR>Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Old May 4th, 2002, 03:21 PM
Kyle

Never had a problem with credit cards in Germany (and Western Europe) at gas stations. Of coure cash is always handy too. Note: as mentioned previously "Prices were 1.00 to 1.05 Euro per Litre" Which equates to roughly $4 per gallon and about $50-60 to fill up your car. Just don't be shocked at the price the first time you fill up--I was!