Gare du Nord to Parc des Expositions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to help some friends who are traveling to Paris in June for a conference that will be held at the Parc des Expositions Villepinte, one stop before CDG. They will be staying near the Gare du Nord and the husband will be going daily (6-7 round trips) to the conference center. His wife will stay in Paris. They will be arriving on a Saturday and leaving the following Friday or Saturday.

It seems to me that the husband’s best option for transportation would be single RER tickets for the weekend (4,35€ each way) and then a Navigo Découverte for Monday-Friday (RATP website now says 5€ for the card + 21,25€ for the week’s coupon, no matter the number of zones.) The wife could also buy a ND for Monday-Friday and the rest of the time, they could use a carnet or two of t+ tickets while remaining in zones 1-3.

Does anyone see a better (less expensive) solution? Thanks.
Old Apr 8th, 2016, 11:11 AM

I'll presume you go the RER ticket price right. But if he plans to use the metro around Paris on those days without the Navigno, he might just as well but a daily Mobilis pass that covers all transportation. He'll need it for 4 zones, but it is 11.50 euro versus 8.70 euro for the two RER tickets just for that Villepinte trip. Then he can use it the entire rest of the day, if they are going about in the evening etc, on buses and metro/RER. But if they do think they'll only use a carnet between them, I guess what you propose makes sense and the cost comparison is about the same. A Mobilis is convenient. If you think they only need one carnet between the two of them for two days, you must be thinking the wife will ony make a couple trips on her own those days.

compare 2 Mobilis plus 6 single tickets for her=23+10.80=33.8 euro
vs. 2 RER tickets plus one carnet=8.70+14.10=32.80 euro
Old Apr 8th, 2016, 12:39 PM

I would wait for a response from kerouac...
Old Apr 8th, 2016, 02:00 PM

Tell them only to board RER trains with Parc des Expositions on the overhead board on the platforms at Gare du Nord and NOT the trains that say sans arret - those go non-stop to CDG Airport - always see where your RER train is going as several different ones may use the same platform.
Old Apr 8th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. That's an idea, Christine, about the Mobilis for one or both of the first two days. I guess it will depend on how much they want to explore during that time. I did find out a bit more: they will arrive on Saturday and the husband will go to the conference center to set up on Sunday. Then he'll need to be there Monday to Friday. He is an exhibitor so he may have a bunch of stuff to take Sunday, in which case he might want to take a taxi instead. Or maybe his company is shipping the stuff. I don't know.

I suspect that the husband is not too interested in sightseeing. He originally planned to stay out near the center or the airport which would have been awful for his wife who wanted to stay in central Paris. They compromised on staying near the Gare du Nord.

I'll talk to her again on Monday and see what's what. She's been to Paris before but he hasn't. I'd just like to make it as easy as possible for the both of them.
Old Apr 8th, 2016, 07:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
<<I would wait for a response from kerouac...>>

Kerouac has had a yearly pass for about the last 30 years and is not at all well versed in the vagaries of local fares. Regular visitors are much more qualified to give advice since they seem to spend hours poring over the fare tables.