Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Train from 5th Qrtr to Paris Nord and other ?'s.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy Friday everyone!

My husband and I arrive in Paris next Weds and leave for Amsterdam on Thurs. I would like some guidance in taking the train from our hotel to Paris Nord station (is Paris Nord the same as Gare du Nord?)

I have tixs for a direct train from Paris Nord to Amsterdam CS. The closest station from our hotel is the St. Michel/Cluny/St. Germaine station.

My questions:
How to get to the Nord station from our hotel and then from there, how do I identify which train to take to Amsterdam. Also, I printed our passes and although you can read our names, they are a bit dark, will this be a problem? How early do we need to be there if our train leaves at 9:55am? Should we just take cab? We will each have a carry on and a small bag.

I know there are a lot of threads about the Carte Orange but I still can't figure out if it's worth buying, let alone figuring out the zones. So I apologize in advance for asking questions about it.

We return from Amsterdam on Sunday and return to the U.S. on Friday. When we went to Paris last year, we took the RER B from CDG to our hotel & back and plan on doing so again this year. We also plan on going to Versailles. If we buy the CO, can we use it for the places listed above, in addition to using the bus to get around the city? If so, which zones would I ask for when purchasing it?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Mariana
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 12:59 PM

Paris Nord is Gare du Nord. To get there simply walk to the St. Michel-Notre Dame Metro/RER stop. Take RER B to Gare du Nord, dir. Aeroport Charles de Gaulle or Mitry-Claye - about 5 min.

Carte Orange is probably not worth buying as they begin on Monday and are valid through the following Sunday. I am not sure from your post whether you are in Paris for 1 night or 8, but either way, the carte orange probably will not work for you.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 01:47 PM

Here is the URL for a page with helpful information on finding the right train at any station: http://tinyurl.com/ys6o2b.

When you return to Paris on Sunday, buy a Carte Orange for zones 1-2 (16 EUR). It won't be valid until Monday, however. Even though you won't be able to use it for a full week, it should still be a good value. Yes, it is good on city buses and the Montmartre funicular as well as the Metro and RER within zones 1-2. Don't forget that it requries a small headshot photo.

Since Versailles is beyond zone 2, you'll need to buy separate tickets to go there (2.70 EUR each way). The same will be true when you go to CDG at the end of your stay (8.10 EUR).
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I just realized that I know where Gare Nord is and how to get there.
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 05:22 AM
ira

Hi M,

>Train from 5th Qrtr to Paris Nord ...

How can you have a 5th quarter?

The sections of Paris are "arrondissements".

Enjoy your visit.

Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 07:42 AM

For all forms of public transport within Paris, try:

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/cv/carteparis.php