Reload this Page >

Getting from Gare du Nord to Luxemborg RER

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:31 PM
Joyce

Am going to Paris in July with my 17yr daughter and need to get from Gare Nord to Luxemborg RER, with all our baggage! I want to know how to do this, where to get tickets from, how much, if there are luggage storage places and any other useful info for completing this mission. Thanks.

Old May 14th, 2002, 07:44 PM
slider

<BR>What do you mean by "with all our baggage!" Maybe you want to rent a U-Haul if it's as bad as you paint it.<BR><BR>Have you thought about bringing one bag each? Then you hop on the B train to Luxembourg. It's a snap.<BR><BR>

Old May 14th, 2002, 07:46 PM
StCirq

If you need to say "with all our baggage," take a taxi.

Old May 15th, 2002, 01:37 AM
Ruth

If you have one piece of luggage each it's no problem. We did the same in Jan with our 5 year old son, after arriving from London. <BR><BR>Follow the signs in the Gare for the RER station (down an escalator from the main station). The metro also connects there, but it was quite easy to find the RER signs. Queue at the ticket window and buy a carnet of metro tickets (about 8 euros for 10 when we were there). These tickets are valid on RER, metro and buses within Paris, so maybe buy 2 carnets if you are planning to use public transport, or share one. You don't need to specify the station you are going to "Un carnet, s'il vous plait", or "A carnet please" will do it! I wouldn't bother buying single trip tickets, they are more expensive per trip. There are Paris cards which would also be valid, but I've no experience of these.<BR><BR>A map of the system is there too - you want to go south (I'm sorry I don't have my transport map with me at the moment - the lines are listed by the LAST station). Use one ticket each to go through the turnstile, and take the train. You won't have to make any changes - it is on a direct line (maybe 10-15 min from Gare du Nord). <BR><BR>I would definitely recommend it if you can manage your luggage on escalators, trains, and through turnstiles, otherwise as the posters above said, take a taxi.

Old May 15th, 2002, 02:43 AM
Ruth

There's also all you ever wanted to know, and more, in a thread called "Paris Metro System Tickets" which I have topped, or you can search on "carnet".<BR><BR>I see the cost is 9.30 euros for a carnet.

Old May 15th, 2002, 03:12 AM
xxx

Glad Ruth came along to give the answer without sarcasm.

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:40 AM
joyce

thanks for the help. My 17 year old daughter posted the message without my knowledge. Little does she know it yet but we will be travelling light!