Search

carnet of tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carnet of tickets

Hello

Will be landing in Charles de Gaulle airport and need to get to Gare du Nord station - what is the cost of the ticket and i was recommended to get a carnet of tickets - can i get them at the airport and can i use it for my trip to Gare du Nord? thank you
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 02:46 PM

You may purchase them at the airport but you use them on the métro (which does not go to the airport).

An RER ticket to Paris (Gare du Nord), connecting anywhere on the métro will cost 9.10€. A carnet of 10 tickets t+ will cost 12.50€ good anywhere the métro goes.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 02:51 PM

You cannot use a ticket from the carnet to get from CDG to Paris. On the other hand, the ticket from CDG to Paris is valid on the RER and on the métro should you need to transfer.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 04:19 PM

There are two systems:
a)the RER, the high speed commuter train, or

b) the inside Paris metro system ("the underground").

You need a carnet for the metro but not for the RER.

CDG is located outside Paris, so you need to take high speed commuter train, the RER (line B), to get into Paris itself. This is a single train ticket.

Wikipedia has a very clear map showing you how many stops on the local RER B are between CDG and Gare du Nord:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RER_B

Once you get to the Gare du Nord in Paris itself, you still have to find the metro station where you can buy a carnet of tickets for the metro. At the same time that you are getting your carnet, it's also critical to get a map from the ticket agent of the entire metro system to help you negotiate the metro system.

If you want to tell us where you are going after the Gare du Nord, we can help you with the metro stops and lines.
Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 04:37 PM

it is just over 9 euro to get from CDG into central Paris; you can transfer from the RER train to a metro train without buying another ticket, but after that you will use the carnet to get around on the metro and RER trains around central Paris (zone 1 and 2, I think); google a website: paris by train to get everything you need to know
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 03:24 PM

From what I understand, the carnet ticket (t+) can be used anywhere in the Paris Metro (i.e. all the zones) but only in zone 1 of the RER. Since most tourists sights are within zone 1, this is not really an issue.

Ronald
http://paris-france-holiday.blogspot.com/
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 06:31 PM

When you buy your RER ticket at Gare du Nord, you can also buy a carnet at the same time. I got mine from a person rather than a machine.
Old Jul 24th, 2011, 07:54 PM

<i>When you buy your RER ticket at Gare du Nord</i>

Unnecessary unless one plans to buy the return ticket to CDG. But why deal with the Gare du Nord mess? Any metro station with a ticket machine allows one to buy a ticket to CDG on a cash basis--keeping in mind that U.S. credit cards will probably not work in the machine.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 05:40 AM

The newest machines accept US credit cards. These machines, the most "electronic" looking ones have most information presented on screens with a choice of languages.

Follow directions carefully because they operate differently to US machines. You do not, for example, remove your card until it tells you to because it only authorizes the card when the order is complete, not when you insert the card.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 06:51 AM

Buy a return ticket (in essence two tickets) at CDG for the RER, switch without cost to Metro at GdN.

Later, when you leave hotel to go to Metro station, at that time get your carnet.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 07:34 AM

<i>The newest machines accept US credit cards.</i>

My advice comes from direct experience, with the station attendant trying to help me. One cannot count on having a U.S. credit card accepted by a ticket dispensing machine.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 09:47 AM

The ticket machines at CDG will indeed accept US credit cards. Place your card face up into the slot.

If you are purchasing a child's ticket, you will need to use the service window as these at not sold through the machines.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 10:04 AM

You can buy carnets at nearly every tobacco shop. If there is a line at the Metro, wait until you are out on the street -- as said earlier, the RER ticket from CDG is good for any connection to a Metro line that you might need.

SS