Gare du Nord -- luggage service?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, when I was in Paris a few months ago (in February), I found out that Gare du Nord no longer had lockers (consigne automatique). At that time they directed me to Gare de l'Est (I think) for lockers.

Now is there some sort of left luggage (with attendants) service there? I did a search on this forum and the answer seems to be yes, but does someone know for sure?

Thanks!
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Actually, sorry -- I checked regarding the lockers at Gare du Nord last summer (in early August). So things could have changed since.

Thanks.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 09:01 AM

Hi 111op, we used the lockers at the Gare du Nord in January of this year with no problems...they're on the lower level, you can take the elevator down that's next to the press shop (near the exit for taxis). However, there are only a handful of big lockers (the kind that could take a full size suitcase) and they were all occupied when we were there. Also, I remember being told by the people there (your luggage has to go through a scanner before going into the locker area) that there was a 24 hour limit on storage.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Great, thanks BT. By the way, I noticed that you were kind enough to post a note here for me while I was gone two weeks ago. I sent you some e-mail but found out that you were gone from reading this board (you were at the Loire? Sounds great -- I've never been). Anyway, thanks again and do sent the old e-mail you said you tried to send again please, if you've a copy. (Not sure if you received the e-mail I sent while you were gone.)

Anyway, I fly to London and take the Eurostar to Paris tomorrow (we've a long weekend here in the US and get Monday off). A bit of a crazed trip (bought last-minute tickets two days ago). I get into Paris at 5 and plan to do some shopping before everything closes at 7 (so it'd be great to leave my bag at the station -- it's a small one, so it should fit easily anywhere). Glad to hear the lockers are back, certainly!
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 09:29 AM

Hi 111op, can't you drop your bag at your hotel? If not, you might wish to reduce your luggage so you can carry it along with you while you shop since you don't know how long it'll take to screen your luggage, hail a cab, etc. I wouldn't want you to miss Pierre Hermé! Have a terrific trip, Maureen
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Maureen!

Actually, I'm staying with a friend. I could go back to his place and drop the bag off -- but, well, Paris shops are typically not open on Sunday (Pierre Herme and a few others excepted). So I fear that there won't be enough time.

It will just be a small carry-on, so if I've to carry it with me, I will so that I can maximize my shopping time. It sounds ludicrious, but it's necessary, I guess, because shops in Paris usually close at 7. I've researched closing hours of shops -- Bon Marche closes at 8 on Saturdays, fortunately.

I'm actually doing everything that's contrary to what this board will suggest -- it's a very short trip. I'm in Paris on Sunday and I take an early train to London, so I'll have close to a full day in London before I fly back to NYC the same evening. But there's something exciting about being in Paris for a day anyway. To me it's better than not going at all.

Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

To clarify, I meant Paris on Sunday and then early morning train to London on Monday. Then home in the evening.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 09:52 AM

ANY time in Paris is worth it. We were in London in March and took a last minute overnight Sunday visit and it was MAGICAL. Enjoy!
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Yes, no argument there, Maureen! Thanks again.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 10:05 AM

111op, yes I think I still have that email in my sent file, along with your address, so I'll resend it.
I hope the info I gave you is still current...maybe someone who's tried to store luggage more recently will be able to confirm or correct the info I gave.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, BT.

Re left luggage -- not a big deal. Just thought I'd check. If I need to carry a bag with me for a couple of hours, I will. It sounds like these things do change from time to time. When I asked last summer, I was under the impression that they took the lockers out forever. But there're also other posts on the board that suggest that one can leave luggage at Gare du Nord. Anyway, I will find out tomorrow.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 10:22 AM

Have a great trip! Happy shopping and hope you find some good sales!
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Oh yes, so do I. Maybe I'll recoup the price of the ticket through savings. Have a lovely weekend.