Galway questions

Jan 15th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Galway questions

I've only been to Galway once, the year St. Patrick's Day was "canceled", and I'll be back there again this year. I know very little about the city itself, so could someone please tell me what there is to do there, and what location in the city to try to stay in or avoid? Thanks!
Jan 15th, 2004, 12:52 PM

Galway is a wonderful city! I prefer staying downtown in the old medieval section or near Eyre Square. There's also 'B&B Row' along College Road. That's not too far from the center of Galway, but be a little careful as the B&Bs there vary in quality.

Galway's got a great 'street scene' and it's fun just to spend time walking. You'll notice the influence of the University. Lots of young people around. Good shopping, if you're interested in that. Kenny's Bookstore is one of my favorites. A great variety of restaurants and pubs, and often a good selection of live music. Galway's also got some of the best theater outside of Dublin.

At Galway's Tourist Office, you can pick up a guide for the walking tour of historic places within the city. I found that to be interesting.
Jan 17th, 2004, 08:13 AM
gbs

Four Seasons B&B is great and in a superb location on College road
Jan 17th, 2004, 08:30 AM

Great pub scene. I would stay in the old section, too. We parked our car and walked everywhere from the B&B.
There is a hop on hop off bus tour.
They have a huge tourist office in the downtown area.
Try the Rivergod Restaurant. Great fixed price meals.
Jan 19th, 2004, 02:18 PM

try jurys inn for location.(accomodation)
mc donaghs fish and chip shop. unbeatable!
pubs. freeneys pub on the high st, moonlights as fishing tackle shop. or ti neachtains down the road from it or even murphys .
avoid eyre square late at night especailly after the pubs close.
walk the prommenade. start at the spanish arch and follow it out.also
get out of the city and go west to connemara or south down to co. clare. take the costal routes
Jan 19th, 2004, 03:22 PM

irlandes,

MaryZ's reference to Kenny's Bookshop is right on the money! It's an absolutely wonderful place that is all things literary. The shop features several floors, a very helpful and knowledgable staff (there's no chain/corporate-like employee apathy here), and is the ideal place to find a gift for the book lover in your life. Kenny's also has an art gallery and a terrific out-of-print section. For Irish interest books, moreover, it can't be beat. Don't miss Kenny's.

It's true about Galway City having a detectable buzz about it. The downtown pedestrian-only zone is a good deal of fun, offering numerous eateries and colorful pubs. While the city has few compelling historic sites, Galway's energy is undeniable. The city is also a great gateway for excursions into Connemara.

Best of luck.