Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurants in Dublin, Killarney, Galway?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done searches for each city but didn't come up with very much. I'm leaving July 5. Not looking for high-end places. In Dublin, I'm staying at the Conrad and generally like things within 15 minutes walk or so. I like good local food and trying new things. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 09:50 AM

In Killarney, on the South-West side of High Street, is the Flesk, which serves steaks and Sea Food that is good quality and moderately priced.

JUST North, on the same side is O'Rian's, which offers Pub Grub that should be of good quality, as I BELIEVE it is owned by the same family. They have an upstairs bar that sometimes offers music. I haven't ever eaten at O'Rian's, but I have FOND memories of an evening spent there, back in '06 ...

Directly acrossed High Street is another Irish Pub that serves good, inexpensive pub-grub, like Guiness stew and boiled ham and cabbage, etcetera, that I would love to re-visit.

The following is based upon a visit in June of 2005, so MAY be out of date:

North of Killarney, semi-enroute to Dingle, is Killorglin. If you detour off the main road and cross the old stone bridge and then turn right (1/4 mile, or so), you'll enter the Square. On the East side is Dev's On The Square -- a HIGH-END eatery of remarkable quality. Opposite and slightly South of Dev's, is the Benz Cafe-- a moderately priced, but equally amazing eatery. These are my two FAVORITE dining experiences, from TEN YEARS worth of visits.

Haven't eaten IN Galway in almost 7 years and Dublin changes too quickly for me to make any qualified rec's for those ..

Bob
Old Jun 20th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bob. I won't have a car, so the ones outside Killarney are probably too far, but I will check out the ones in town.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 09:11 AM

Have you tried http://www.tripadvisor.com/ ? Their interactive map can be very helpful in identifying restaurants close to where you are staying.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

freetoroam, thanks, I'll check it out.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 02:44 PM

Staying in the Conrad, you will find plenty of choices in and around St Stephens Green. The Unicorn is an Italian type place on Merrion Row, usually busy and buzzy if you like that kind of thing. A few doors away is the popular Bang restaurant, hopefully still open as its owners are sailing through choppy financial waters at present.
Peploes is another popular spot, on the Green itself; they aften do good value lunch deals.
Have dined recently in The Farm on Dawson St - it won't break the bank for either lunch or dinner. Gotham Cafe on South Annes St does good pizzas and other fare at reasonable prices.
Old Jun 21st, 2010, 05:59 PM

In Dublin I recommend Ryan's FXB Grills. It was the best chowder I ever ate. Including a shot of Jameson's only €11.20.

O'Neill's is very popular and has a wide selection but is unremarkable.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:18 PM

Spent a week in Kerry recently, and the Flesk Restaurant was our favorite for good value with quality.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody for the additional suggestions!
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:50 PM

Just a few spots in Galway:
Cava offers a good tapas style choice that allows you to vary your spend.
McDonaghs can offer either the fish and chip take away option or a more substantial sit down fish dinner.
Sheridans on the Dock gets good reviews for their casual style menu.
Ard Bia, where the old Nimmo's restaurant used to be near the Spanish Arch, is another popular place.
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 03:30 PM

There are (at LEAST) TWO O'Neill's -- the food place is located on Suffolk Street. The OTHER O'Neill's is a pub and Guesthouse, located on Pierce Street.
http://www.oneillsbar.com/location.htm
http://www.oneillsdublin.com/

The Pierce Street Pub is WELL worth a stop by for a drink and to admire the decor -- particularly the ceilings!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/itallia...7600769833589/

Bob
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

SeeDee, thanks for those ideas for Galway. And Italian Chauffer, thanks for the additional ideas for Dublin. I'm planning this trip on very short notice, so I appreciate the input!
Old Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:44 PM

SusanP -- As my screenname demonstrates -- spelling is NOT my forte ....

It is NOT 'Pierce' Street -- it IS, in fact, PEARSE Street ...

There is a BIG difference ...

Bob
Old Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bob, I'll note that!
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 09:13 AM

I went to the Suffolk Street O'Neill's. Had corned beef and Guinness for €17.30. It was OK. The place is very popular and crowded.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 01:34 AM

Try http://www.restaurants.ie or www.menupages.ie
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 11:30 AM

If you are in the conrad - try foleys, if literally 2 mins down the road off St Stephens Green. Its a bar with a restaurant above - bar food is good and the restaurant does very good food as well - they try and do 'traditional' stuff and source product locally.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, whatson, I like that it's close!
vaibhav, I haven't had time to search those sites yet, but thanks for the links. Will try to look more there this weekend before I leave.
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 03:17 PM

If the traditional fare in Foley's is not what you are looking for, Pearl Brasserie across the road does a more contemporary menu, though not cheap.
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 08:40 AM

I had dinner in One Pico recently with a group of friends. We were very happy with the quality. It is just off Dawson St which in turn is off St Stephens Green in Dublin. Not cheap. See www.onepico.com for details. In Killarney we enjoyed dinner in the Brasserie in Hotel Europe, 3 miles west of the town. Expensive but a really special place. For beautiful views the website is worth visiting at www.theeurope.com