Search

decisions, decisions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
decisions, decisions

Hi,

I'm traveling to Ireland in May and don't have enough time to do all that I'd like (of course). We will have ten days in the country. I lived briefly in Galway and Dublin several years ago and so both cities automatically make the list. However, I'm having trouble ranking my other priorities below.

The crux of the problem is that I'm split between the East and West coasts. In order to have a more relaxing trip I think I'll need to cut. Any advice is appreciated.

1. Newgrange - I'm fairly committed to this
2. Glendalough - I've gotten mixed reviews
3. Kilkenny - off the trail to Galway. Worth it?
4. the Burren
5. Connemarra
6. Co. Donegal - so far out of the way, but isn't that the point?
7. Sligo

Thanks!
SMB1
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 08:52 AM

If you don't get many responses, you may want to report with a more descriptive title. Some people won't even read message that doesn't give a hint to at least the country they're writing about.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:34 AM

t
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:11 PM

Loved Newgrange and Glendalough (easy Dublin side trip)... Kilkenny and Burren, not so much.

Clonmacnoise (high crosses, roundtower, history)would be a good trade for Glendalough and can be seen on way to/from Galway.

Connemarra was very nice (easy Galway sidetrip, but I didn't care for Galway, so I would make it the sidetrip!)...
Donegal and Sligo are on my want to see list.

Fly into Dublin and out of Shannon.
2-3 in Dublin with sidetrips, 2 Galway with sidetrip to Connemmarra,4-5 Sligo/Donegal, then last night near Shannon. (my not to miss would be the Cliffs of Moher)
Old Apr 13th, 2005, 09:51 PM

My votes: Donegal (get all the way to Malin Head on the Inishowen Peninsula if you want to knock your eyes out - beee-yooo-tee-full!)
- Connemara
- I second the Clonmacnoise suggestion.
- I disagree with the Galway opinion - I loved it.
- Sligo did nothing for me, but the surrounding countryside is a joy.
- Have you considered the Aran Islands?

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 12:43 PM
cod

This is a first - the first time I have seen a mention of Malin Head!! Hooray! And worktowander is absolutely right - you shouldn't miss the Inishowen Peninsula and Malin Head, the most northerly and one of the most beautiful points in Ireland. Do come and visit.

Old Apr 14th, 2005, 10:23 PM

I've mentioned Malin Head before. As others have said, it's worth the effort to get to Donegal. One of the most beautiful places on earth.

I think you could do everything on your list. I might give Sligo a miss, unless you have a specific reason for going there. You've picked most of my favorite places in the south.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 11:30 PM

Cod - We went to Malin Head on a whim because my father simply wanted to go as far north as he could (former sailor - hung up on longitude and latitude. But it's a harmless obsession, I suppose).

And it led to a highlight of our trip, so it's apparently a useful obsession, too!

I almost hate to recommend Malin Head, though, because it was so quiet and peaceful there I'd hate to see it overrun. Musn't be selfish, though!

We enjoyed wonderful hospitality in the town of Malin as well. Thank you.